UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer retni
Observer

[ISE14.2]when i instantiate the fifo ipcore with .xco file, there is always a error called "Illegal redeclaration of XXX"

The 'XXX' in title means the ipcore name.

When i remove the .xco file and add the .v and .ngc file to my project, the problem was resolved.

I wanna know why this happen?

I always used the .xco file to instanstiate the ipcore in the former release of the ISE....

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: [ISE14.2]when i instantiate the fifo ipcore with .xco file, there is always a error called "Illegal redeclaration of XXX"

When you add the .xco file, you are adding an IP core sub project.

Project Navigator automatically accesses files from the core subproject during the various flows according to project settings, the flow that is being run, and the designation of files in the IP cor esubproject.

Typically, a redeclaration error is caused when a second declarationof a module is inadvertently sent to synthesis.

Recently, we've seen an issue with a few IP (including the Fifo) where a XXX_synth.v file was incorrectly generated and added for synthesis and simulation flows.  If the file is deleted, the flows complete successfully.

I can say this is the problem you are seeing for sure with the information given but, it would be my first guess.  The error message should give more information about which files are involved. 

0 Kudos
Observer retni
Observer

Re: [ISE14.2]when i instantiate the fifo ipcore with .xco file, there is always a error called "Illegal redeclaration of XXX"

thanks for your reply!

i copy the error message to below:

ERROR:HDLCompilers:27 - "ipcore_dir/fifo_dsp_write.v" line 39 Illegal redeclaration of 'fifo_dsp_write'

if i cancel the .v file, i can synthesis the project, but i can't simulate it!

so my solution is remove the .xco file and add the .v file and the .ngc file.

but the .xco file is useless in this way..

0 Kudos
Newbie dzz870529

I have met the same problem.The memory Ipcore always display the illegal redeclaration.
0 Kudos
Newbie dzz870529

I use the ISE14.1 to test the block ram ipcore only ,there is no erro. So I think this is the bug or setting problems of the ISE14.2

0 Kudos
Observer retni
Observer

i never met this problem in other version of ISE...

this is a troublesome bug....wish there is a bugfix soon.

0 Kudos
Visitor davidbowman
Visitor

Same problem here.

I love upgrading to new versions of ISE only to find stuff that's been working for ages breaks.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Don't do that...

I love upgrading to new versions of ISE only to find stuff that's been working for ages breaks.

It is very risky to change (or update) design tools in the middle of a design project.  This includes schematic capture, synthesis, simulation, place/route, and operating system.  Wait until your project is released and completely, absolutely archived.

New bugs, as well as bug fixes and new features, are to be expected with new tools releases.  There is logic in never using the latest release of anything, instead using a release  for which bugs and workarounds have already been documented and published.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor cimasys
Visitor

I also have a problem with .xco instantiations.  At the bottom of the screen is an example using an .xco file to instantiate a coregen module.  It references a DDS in lieu of the FIR that it should be using.  I have gotten used to instantiating .v + .ngc instead of .xco.  And yes, it does work when I manually instantiate the .v+.ngc FIR module so it has no issues with ports or anything else.  This is with PlanAhead 14.4

Planahead XCO Issue.JPG

0 Kudos