UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Is it necessary to assign port Type to a i/o pin in Vivado Block Design?

Jump to solution

Hello, I am a newbie to Vivado and like using the Block Design window do everything graphical and to add my modules. Quick question. I notice that when you add a I/O port, such as Input, Output, or InOut you can choose a Type (Clock, Interrupt, Data, or other). Is it necessary to choose a Type?

Thank you,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

Re: Is it necessary to assign port Type to a i/o pin in Vivado Block Design?

Jump to solution

It's generally a good idea to properly tag IO ports. It might not seem to matter much at top-level IO ports, but if you decide to package your current design into an IP and use it in a different context, you'll want to make sure those IO ports have the correct types, so that IP Integrator can check and verify the connections.

-Joe G.

2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar jg_bds
Scholar

Jump to solution

It's generally a good idea to properly tag IO ports. It might not seem to matter much at top-level IO ports, but if you decide to package your current design into an IP and use it in a different context, you'll want to make sure those IO ports have the correct types, so that IP Integrator can check and verify the connections.

-Joe G.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos