UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open ISE n synthsize project through commands

Jump to solution

how to run the ISE project navigator from the command line on linux???

i want to open ISE project and do synthsize & create bit file through commands.. 

thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Open ISE n synthsize project through commands

Jump to solution

So since you already set up the environment, you can just run a shell script....like..

#!/bin/sh

xst.....

ngdbuild.....

map.....

par.....

trce....

let me know if you need further help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Go to the install ($XILINX/..) and run one of the 'settings' scripts depending on your environment. This will set up all your xilinx commands
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

already create the environment.. i am able to do on GUI but not able to run through command prompt..

As i mentioned i want to do simulation, synthsize, and create bit file using commands on Linux... (dont want to open GUI)

Please advice or share any user guide..how we can do...... which commands we need to use????

0 Kudos
Observer heber.green
Observer

Re: Open ISE n synthesize project through commands

Jump to solution

There are a couple of ways you can run commands from the command line. My preferred way (and I think more of the industry standard way) is to use TCL commands. Xilinx has good support for TCL, but you can also run each step of the design flow manually from the command line. Type 'xst' at the prompt to launch the synthesis tool for example. But, since you mentioned you already have things set up in the GUI TCL will be the way to go since the GUI will output a pretty complete TCL script based on your already created project. The latest versions of ISE generate several functions that make creating a project, synthesizing, etc. very straight forward. To create the script select 'Project->Generate TCL script' from the menu bar.

Once the script has been generated you need to launch the Xilinx TCL shell by typing 'xtclsh'. From here type 'source <my_tcl_script_name>.tcl and follow the help instructions printed by the script. Xilinx has documented their TCL commands very well in the command line user guide. Just about every command or project setting you can do in the GUI has a TCL equivalent. Just do a search for that guide for whatever version of the tool you are using.

It is well worth it to learn TCL since every FPGA and ASIC design tool I've ever used has a TCL interface. A modelsim .do file is also just a TCL script so, with a little practice you can automate your simulation flow as well. 

Best of luck,

-Heber

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

So since you already set up the environment, you can just run a shell script....like..

#!/bin/sh

xst.....

ngdbuild.....

map.....

par.....

trce....

let me know if you need further help

0 Kudos