Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simozz
Scholar
Scholar

Renaming HDL files according to current versioning in custom IP settings

Hi,

I am modifying a custom IP where I increased the reference version from 1.0 to 2.0.

Screenshot_2020-06-12_14-40-51.png

As shown just above, modules where manually renamed according to the new version, but to maintain coherency between source filenames and version it seems that I have to manually rename these files, since Vivado strangely doesn't provide any "Rename file" option.

Manually renaming the files resulting in File group problems etc...

What is the best way to rename custom IP files, specially when the IP core has been created with Custom IP wizard ?

Does Vivado provide a way to automatically increase version without altering the old one ? This would be the best way.

Thanks.

s.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sabankocal
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @simozz ,

Actually I'm doing same thing with different way.

I give a name to my custom IP without version(you need to remove version part on create custom ip wizard).

In fact, your Ip's name never changes, only version changes.

When you add your ip to block design you can always see your Ip's version in addition to it's name as you can see as screen shot.

I recommend to you same. 

Saban

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

if(solves_problem) mark_as_solution <= 1 else if(helpful) Kudo <= Kudo + 1

<--- If reply is helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question --->
Custom_Ip_Version.png
simozz
Scholar
Scholar

@sabankocal,

@sabankocal wrote:

I give a name to my custom IP without version(you need to remove version part on create custom ip wizard).

I also thought to do the same, but Vivado (20192.2) doesn't let me create an IP without version number:

Screenshot_2020-06-12_16-00-30.png

The error message seems to be not helpful at all:

Screenshot_2020-06-12_16-04-50.png

What version of Vivado are you using ?

Thanks.

s.

0 Kudos
sabankocal
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @simozz ,

Unfortunatelly I'm using Vivado 2018.2, not same with yours.

Actually When I create an IP Core I'm removing version part from Ip Name, but similarly to yours Vivado adds version number to filenames as suffix. But When I upgrade it to a new version, version name suffix leaves always same(1.0).

In fact, It is not a big problem for me, because when you package it and close, Vivado creates a new Folder sync with new version name. And then when you want to edit this Custom IP Core, Vivado opens related version folder and old versions leaves always.

It is not a perfect solution, but for me it is acceptable.

Saban

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

if(solves_problem) mark_as_solution <= 1 else if(helpful) Kudo <= Kudo + 1

<--- If reply is helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question --->
Tags (2)
0 Kudos