cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Source customizing 16550 IP : Error "The is_managed property cannot be directly modified for scoped IP"

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to customize AXI uart16550 IP to increase the RX (TX) FIFO size. The IP is include in a BD with a zynq.

When I try to follow manual ug896 [Editing IP Sources] or AR# 57546, I get ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-3414] The is_managed property cannot be directly modified for scoped IP on set_property IS_MANAGED false [get_files zsys_axi_uart16550_0_0.xci] command. The error does not match possible error ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-3666] for complex subsystem IP and I don't know how to understand it. I can set IP_LOCK.

Any info about it ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Source customizing 16550 IP : Error "The is_managed property cannot be directly modified for scoped IP"

Jump to solution
Hierarchical IP and Subsystem IP: These terms are used interchangeably to describe an IP which is a sub-system built with multiple IP in a hierarchical topology as a part of a block design or RTL flow.

A scoped IP is merely a lower level IP core that is part of a Hierarchical / Subsystem IP.  It is "scoped" to the rest of the subsystem IP.

Editing the generated output of an IP core is generally not recommended and obviously not a tested or supported flow.  Editing subsystem IP is especially troublesome due to the interaction with the other IP in the subsytem.  That is why the IS_MANAGED property was disabled (An extra warning that editing is not recommended).
In the AR the IS_LOCKED and IS_MANAGED properties are suggested to prevent Vivado flows from overwriting changes.  As IS_MANAGED is not available, the remaining options to proceed with an edit of this IP core would be to use the IS_LOCKED property or to edit outside of Vivado in another editor.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Source customizing 16550 IP : Error "The is_managed property cannot be directly modified for scoped IP"

Jump to solution
Hierarchical IP and Subsystem IP: These terms are used interchangeably to describe an IP which is a sub-system built with multiple IP in a hierarchical topology as a part of a block design or RTL flow.

A scoped IP is merely a lower level IP core that is part of a Hierarchical / Subsystem IP.  It is "scoped" to the rest of the subsystem IP.

Editing the generated output of an IP core is generally not recommended and obviously not a tested or supported flow.  Editing subsystem IP is especially troublesome due to the interaction with the other IP in the subsytem.  That is why the IS_MANAGED property was disabled (An extra warning that editing is not recommended).
In the AR the IS_LOCKED and IS_MANAGED properties are suggested to prevent Vivado flows from overwriting changes.  As IS_MANAGED is not available, the remaining options to proceed with an edit of this IP core would be to use the IS_LOCKED property or to edit outside of Vivado in another editor.

View solution in original post