cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Update IP does not change implemented design

Jump to solution

I have tried the proposed solution but continue to have problems with getting the implemented design to update.

The steps are as follows:

1. In the Project Manager tab, in IP Sources window select the xci file for the IP to be edited and right click.

2. Select Edit in IP packager,

3. A pop up dialog then asks you to choose a project name and location for editing and I make no changes and click the OK button. (see attached image Edit in IP Packager.png).

4. Confirm Overwrite, click OK.

5. In the Project Manager tab, select the IP source file to edit

6. Make changes and save the file

7. Open the Package IP tab and review the changes merge data as needed.

8. Click on Re-Package IP

9. Pop up dialog called Close Project click on Yes.

10. in the main project instance of vivado view the IP Status, (this is found in Tools->Report->Report_IP_Status

11. Select the IP that has just been edited and click Upgrade Selected. 

12. the Generate Output Products dialog pops up see attached file "Generate Output Products.pgn. 

13. Click Generate and wait for that to complete, a dialog box pops up called Generation of output products completed successfully.

14. Now at this point I would expect the changes I have made in the IP Packager should have been copied across to the IP source files in the project, but they aren't.

Using file search in windows to look for the IP source file in the project folder I find two copies in seperate folders:

The first one is the file that has just been edited in the packager and is updated, and the second is the file that exists in the project but it does not get updated.

C:\MZ\RubyTH2\RubyTH2.srcs\sources_1\bd\mz\rubyth2\ip_repo\edit_TDCtest_v1_0.srcs\sources_1\new\TDC_test.v

C:\MZ\RubyTH2\ip_repo\edit_TDCtest_v1_0.srcs\sources_1\new\TDC_test.v

The problem is that the second file has not been updated.

Is it because there is an error in the edited file?  If so which log file should I look in to find what the error is?

Alternatively am I following the wrong steps?

PS I have looked at the original posting from 12-08-2016.

Edit in IP Packager.png
Generate Output Products.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Yes the topic is answered by using the Open IP-XACT File approach it works every time and is much more efficient.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

John,

Your flow sounds generally good. 

Looking at the information you've posted, my first concern or place I would suggest looking at it the location of your repositories.  Perhaps you just left the directory as the default location each time.

You listed the following to locations for TDC_test.v

C:\MZ\RubyTH2\RubyTH2.srcs\sources_1\bd\mz\rubyth2\ip_repo\edit_TDCtest_v1_0.srcs\sources_1\new\TDC_test.v

C:\MZ\RubyTH2\ip_repo\edit_TDCtest_v1_0.srcs\sources_1\new\TDC_test.

From this I am assuming:

- RubyTH2 is your project directory

- C:\MZ\RubyTH2\ip_repo is the IP repository created the first time you packaged the IP

- C:\MZ\RubyTH2\RubyTH2.srcs\sources_1\bd\mz\rubyth2\ip_repo is the IP repository created the subsequent time you (re)packaged the IP

From your main project look at the IP repository location (Tools -> Settings -> IP - Repository) or ("get_property IP_REPO_PATHS [current_project]" from the Tcl console).

If both of you paths have been added to the repository paths, one of the repositories is going to have to take precedence.  There should be a note in this case, when the repositories are refreshed.  Otherwise check to see that the repository where you made the latest change is the one found in the path.

On another note, in my opinion, you should avoid using "Edit in IP Packager" and creating a new temp repository if you were the one who created the IP in the first place and you still have the original project / files.  Instead, use File -> Open IP-XACT File and select the original component.xml file.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello john.potter@redsensors.co.uk,

This topic is still open and is waiting for you.

If your question is answered and/or your issue is solved, please mark a response that resolved your issue, as Accepted Solution (more info on this can be found here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/solutions#solutions). This way, the topic can be completed then. 

If this is not solved/answered, please reply in the thread.

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Kind Regards,
Anatoli Curran,
Xilinx Technical Support
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes the topic is answered by using the Open IP-XACT File approach it works every time and is much more efficient.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos