UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Vivado hangs with UpDating status at Hierachical window

I'm using Vivado 2017.1 and now whenever I use Vivado, it opens up then stall and hang with a UPDATING spinning arrow at the Hierarchical Window. I restart my window PC and when Vivado opens, the same thing happened.

I check the system task  manager and the memory usage is running very high at over 85 % with the SRCSCANNER.

Other project are OK except this one. I believed the last thing I did was to edit a vhdl file. Somehow this file became an UNKNOWN file even thought there is no src code error. restarting Vivado several time seem to change these file back to a normal src file.

I start commenting other section of the code but that didn't help.

What can I do?

Regard

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: Vivado hangs with UpDating status at Hierachical window

Hi @tchin123,

>>[Other project are OK except this one.]

Can you please share the project archive as test-case if possible to analyze this further? File > Project > Archive project in zip.

Also could you test this in latest Vivado 2018.2 release to see if this hang issue still persists in latest tool?

Prathik

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and mark the appropriate post as 'accept as solution'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

The archive is too large (28MB) to send it.

This morning Vivado open OK but after editing my testbench and saving it , Vivado is stuck in the updating mode and is hung again.

In task manager, SRCSCANNER is using 97% of the memory and the PC is lagging extremely slow.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I got this error message:

sim_1 (critical message)

(filemgmt 20-2001) source scanning failed (out of memory) while processing fileset "sim_1" due to unrecovberable syntax error or design hieracrchy issues. Recovering last know analysis of the sourece files.

How can a source file error pull down the system

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Please read the last 3 posts.

Currently, I have remove all errors from my testbench, therefore it should no longer be this file that could cause the error. But as I try to save this file again, Vivado hangs and is stuck in Updating mode.

I have isolated the issue, It seem to occur when I perform a source file save.

My only way ito continue will my development is to kill the srcscanner from task manager.

is there some residual file that I should remove from my project, please advice.

0 Kudos

Hello @tchin123,

I have sent you PM and EZmove FTP link to share your project archive as issue is seen specific to project.

Can you also please share your environment report file from Vivado? report_environment -file <name>.txt in Vivado TCL Console. Does killing srcscanner from task manager help as workaround? Can you try run in non-project mode?

Prathik

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and mark the appropriate post as 'accept as solution'.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

I have send the archive file to your Moveit depository for the DDR3 "Uploading" issue I am having.
I have isolated the issue to occur when I save my testbench source file.
When this happen "SRCSCANNER" from task manager increases to over 97% and freezes Vivado and my PC.

Certain syntax errors will cause this to happen. It will freeze the system to a stand-still condition.

Killing SRCSCANNER will bring Vivado back to life
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

a save file on a simple syntax error like:

if i=1 of i=2 then

will hang my whole system.

Could there could be some error residual file that got stuck in my project directory that need to be clear.

0 Kudos

Hello @tchin123,

Thanks for sharing the project. I am now analyzing this and will update you soon on the observation.

Prathik

0 Kudos

Hi @tchin123,

For Vivado 2017.1, though it takes some time for tool to complete the update hierarchy, it finally manages to do so. But this issue is resolved in Vivado 2018.2, where this behavior is not seen. The 2018.2 tool loads the hierarchy (updates) without delay.

Thanks

Prathik

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

We bought a Vivado license more than a year ago but didn't update the contract since then, therefore I believed if we don't purchase the yearly service contract we cannot update our Vivado to 2018.2, is this correct.

0 Kudos

Actually I am not the correct contact for this. I suggest you to please contact your FAE or from the person whom you purchased the Xilinx license from to get information of your account update. You can also try Xilinx Sales for your query.

Thanks for your understanding.

PS: You can also try Vivado WebPack or evaluation suites initially. (link)

Prathik

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

When it hangs, it usually doesn't resolved itself. It stay in this state.

Usually this doesn't happened but in this project it does but not other project

Is there some residual file that I could remove to resolved this?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@tchin123 

I know this thread is almost a year old, however, I ran into the same issue with 2018.2

For my project I was migrating a Zynq SoC project to a Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC part. To create the problem I added the "Zynq Ultrascale+ MPSoC" using the IP Catalog to my project without making any other changes. At this point the PROJECT MANAGER -> Sources -> Hierarchy window was forever stuck in a loop. Restarted Vivado didn't work. 

Solution: Right click on "zynq_ultra_ps_e_0" in the Hierarchy window and select "Disable File". The Hierarchy window should update only once this time. If all is good, select the component again and "Enable File". 

Hope this can be of use to someone else :)

-JK 

0 Kudos