UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer julian.spahr
Observer

Vivado infers nets such that I have Multiple Driver Net problems, despite my custom IP not having that issue

Hello,

My name is Julian and currently, I'm building a custom IP in VHDL using Vivado 2018.2. The target is a Zynq UltraScale+ ZC102.

The IP has an AXI4-Lite port and an AXIS Master and Slave as well. I have built my IP such that it has a core, that core is wrapped with the Vivado generated AXI4-Lite driver altogether with an AXIS Finite State Machine I have included. The result is an IP with the described ports.

Now, I have exported that IP using the Vivado IP packaging wizard and instantiated the IP in a Block Design. For the record, I have an identical IP but I've written it within Vivado HLS. I have placed both IPs in the block design to verify that both functions properly and produce the same output. That block design has a typical PS + DMA + ILAs architecture. 

¿Where do my problems start? During the implementation of that block design. The implementation fails with a Multiple Driver Net problem. I have run the synthesis DRC (as the implementation does not go through) with the same result: the P[x] signal has apparently multiple drivers... signals I have no control over (as it seems, I did not write them explicitly). 

Errors reported by DRC are as follows:

Net P[0] has multiple drivers: M_AXIS_TDATA[16]_INST_0.O, DPS_OUTPUT_INST.P[0].

Net P[10] has multiple drivers: M_AXIS_TDATA[26]_INST_0.O, DPS_OUTPUT_INST.P[10].

This is confusing to me, as the project that I use for the IP design using RTL does not suffer from that problem. I have read posts in this forum that describe similar problems, but most of the times they were solved by solving the RTL design. Yet, I don't have multiple processes driving one single signal, not only out of principle, also because the synthesizer would tell me about it and it would not let me simulate the IP. I have yet to find that error at the IP design level instead of the block design level, and mostly, because the signals described are not signals that I have put there. For example, P[x] and DPS_OUTPUT_INST.P[x] are not nets that I have placed there by hand so to speak.

Basically, I have managed to simulate the IP using an RTL testbench, but include it in a block design, and the implementation phase fails miserably. I even have run the implementation phase for the RTL project only, with success, even though it is of no use to me in that state.

I don't know where to continue my search, to be honest. I have a couple of ideas but I'm foreseeing that they will fail.

¿Any ideas? ¿What am I missing? If you need more info, ask and you shall receive.

I have attached an image of what I think is the critical point in the schematic, illustrating the multiple driver problem. 

Regards,

Julian

edit; modified a few phrases.

edit2; added info.

Captura.PNG
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: Vivado infers nets such that I have Multiple Driver Net problems, despite my custom IP not having that issue

@julian.spahr,

Hi,

You say the IP as a standalone module does not have the problem.

Then I would also re-check the top level port connections of the module where the IP is instantiated. May be a trivial human error?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer julian.spahr
Observer

Re: Vivado infers nets such that I have Multiple Driver Net problems, despite my custom IP not having that issue

Hi @dpaul24,

I do hope it is a trivial human error. Connected to the IP (window_axis_top_0) are AXIS type interfaces on both sides, plus the mentioned AXI-Lite (as shown in the attached figure). As you can see, the IP is connected to FIFOs on those sides.

As an update, in an effort to solve the error, I have been updating the IP such that I'm not instantiating that many modules inside of it. I'm basically destroying a few hierarchy levels to ease up the schematic. I'm hoping that Vivado infers other logic as a response to it.

The original Multiple Driver Net problem occurs at a lower hierarchy level than my IP (inside of it) but right before driving M_AXIS_TDATA.

Since I haven't found the origin of my problem, I will re-generate the IP and the block design and investigate the resulting schematic.

Thanks!

Captura0.PNG
0 Kudos