UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

What is the difference between clock jitter or Clock Uncertainty

Jump to solution

Hi,

I read timing guide. Some calculation needs both the clock jitter or Clock Uncertainty. I don't find a definition of these two terms. Such as this:

The equation for the setup analysis is the data path delay plus the synchronous element
setup time minus the clock path skew.
Setup Time = Data Path Delay + Synchronous Element Setup Time - Clock Path Skew

Could you explain it to me?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: What is the difference between clock jitter or Clock Uncertainty

Jump to solution

Clock skew = two different Flip-Flops receive the clock signal at slightly different times due to the difference in clock net length (usually the clock is routed as a H-tree to reduce it as much as possible).

Clock jitter = On the same Flip-Flop, the position of the clock edge moves from edge to edge due to the oscillator noise/stability.

Clock uncertainty = I'm not sure. The fact that an edge is neve perfect and that you can't say precisely when it was taken into account by the Flip-Flop?

3 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Even more complicated, I see the following on the IDE project timing report.

There are clock jitter, clock skew and clock uncertainty. Some are redundant or they are all different?

Slack (setup path): -0.559 ns (requirement - (data path - clock path skew + uncertainty))

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Clock skew = two different Flip-Flops receive the clock signal at slightly different times due to the difference in clock net length (usually the clock is routed as a H-tree to reduce it as much as possible).

Clock jitter = On the same Flip-Flop, the position of the clock edge moves from edge to edge due to the oscillator noise/stability.

Clock uncertainty = I'm not sure. The fact that an edge is neve perfect and that you can't say precisely when it was taken into account by the Flip-Flop?

Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Clock uncertainty is a calculated value that includes a number of sources of uncertainty

- the clock jitter (both random and discrete, both system and input clock)

- the phase error of any clock management element (CLKIN -> CLKOUT phase error)

You can see the calculation by clicking on the "Clock Uncertainty" in a detailed path report

Untitled.png

Avrum

0 Kudos