UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor zebra9
Visitor

Which edition tools to install ?

Looking to be doing a small VHDL design in the next few months.  Most significant design element is translation of interfaces between peripherals, comm lines, and microprocessor.  It's been a few years and I need to install tools - just wondering if people have opinions whether I may be better off with ISE 10, ISE 11, and I notice that ISE 12 will be out soon.  Though I'm not seeing whether ISE 12 will be available as Webpack. I care about (1) smooth experience, i.e. (1a) hassle free install, and (1b) not needing to solve too many gotcha's in order to get a first design to compile, and (2) smooth working ChipScope.

Any tips appreciated, thanks for your help!

z

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Which edition tools to install ?

zebra9,

I definitely recommend using either ISE 11 or 12 series.  By using the most up-to-date release, you get the benefit of all of our latest code fixes and optimizations.

Yes, ISE 12 will be available as a WebPACK edition just like prior releases.  Whether or not you use WebPACK depends on which device you're going to be targeting.

As to the installation experience, we have made major strides in streamlining the installation process for ISE 12 and it should be even easier than 11 was (and that was much easier than 10.1 and prior for those that have experience going back that far).

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank
0 Kudos