UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Xilinx ALTSHIFT_TAPS equivalent?

Jump to solution

I need to port an existing design from an Altera Cyclone V device to Spartan-7. The design contains some filters where I used an Altera Megafunction called ALTSHIFT_TAPS. This is a RAM-based shift register with the ability to output taps at multiple points in the shift register chain (the number of taps and distance between them is selectable).

I see that Xilinx has a RAM-Based Shift Register IP core but I don't see the ability to access intermediate taps. Anyone familiar with ALTSHIFT_TAPS and know if there's a Xilinx equivalent?

Thanks,
Bob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Re: Xilinx ALTSHIFT_TAPS equivalent?

Jump to solution

There's no real equivalent, but this doesn't sound very difficult to just rewrite in RTL.    How many taps do you need?  I can probably cook up something in VHDL if you don't mind a European flavor to the code.   :)

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Jump to solution

There's no real equivalent, but this doesn't sound very difficult to just rewrite in RTL.    How many taps do you need?  I can probably cook up something in VHDL if you don't mind a European flavor to the code.   :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response, and for the VHDL offer (no need). I have a couple of these - one with 4 taps and another with 6. I agree it's not a difficult function to replicate, but using RAM with taps is very efficient resource-wise. To get the equivalent I'll have to either use multiple chunks of RAM or all registers.

0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Jump to solution

I think that Xilinx does a better job of this, because of the distributed ram elements...   take a look at these results:

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;
use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

entity generic_shift_taps is
generic (
    number_of_taps : natural := 4;                      -- MUST be set
    tap_distance : natural := 16;
    width : natural := 1
    );
port(
    clk         : in std_logic;
    clk_en      : in std_logic := '1';
    shiftin     : in std_logic_vector(width-1 downto 0);
    shiftout    : out std_logic_vector(width-1 downto 0);
    taps        : out std_logic_vector(width*number_of_taps-1 downto 0)
    );
end entity;

architecture Behavioral of generic_shift_taps is
type t_shift_vector is array(natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(width-1 downto 0);
signal shift_vec : t_shift_vector(0 to number_of_taps * tap_distance - 1) := (others => (others => '0'));
begin
process(clk) is
begin
    if rising_edge(clk) then
        if clk_en = '1' then
            shift_vec <= shiftin & shift_vec(0 to shift_vec'right-1);
            shiftout <= shift_vec(shift_vec'right);
            for i in 0 to number_of_taps-1 loop
                taps((i+1)*width-1 downto i*width) <= shift_vec((i+1)*tap_distance-1);
            end loop;
        end if;
    end if;
end process;
end Behavioral;

I did this one bit wide, with 4 taps that are 16 elements apart...   Look at the resulting schematic:

taps.png

If you squint, you can see the SRL16E shift registers... each is a special LUT cell.    Total delay is 64 cycles here.   This has always been one of the weaknesses of Altera.      It wouldn't be hard to implement RAM based delay, it's just a little more code for tap intervals that are really long, like 256 and above.

0 Kudos