cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading project from Vivado 2020.1 to 2021.1 - "Initializing Language Server"

I am trying to load up my Vivado projects from last year (2020.1 version) to the 2021.1 version.

When I open the Vivado project file in 2021.1, I choose "Automatically upgrade to the new version".  I then click "Yes" to migrate the project directory structure.  After a while, the Project Manager appears with the design hierarchy.   So far so good.

However, when I double click on a .vhd file to view it, an "Opening Editor" window appears saying "Initializing Language Server and Opening D:/.../demo01_files_complete/fpga_top.vhd".   This window stays up forever with the green bar going backwards and forwards.

After this, I tried a second approach.   This time I created a new project, importing the .vhd files when the project was set up.   This time, everything worked fine.

Therefore, I have a workaround, which is to re-create each project.   This is fine for simple projects, but is going to be difficult for some of the more complex projects.   Is there some work around that will allow a project to be upgraded, rather than having to re-create it in 2021.1 ?

Thank you,

Jasmine

0 Kudos
3 Replies
syedz

j.banks@qut.edu.au 

Can you try this and let us know if it still hangs at "Initializing Language Server".

1. Open the 2020.1 project in Vivado 2021.1 and select "Open project in read only"  instead of upgrade:

image.png

After the project is open, you will be prompted to save the project. Click on "save project as" which will save your project in 2021.1 version. 

Now open the .vhd file. 

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
syedz

j.banks@qut.edu.au 

This looks to be an issue as I see different users reporting the same hang. We are currently checking this internally. 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Vivado-2021-1-stuck-initializing-language-server/m-p/1259341 

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
0 Kudos
n3rdx
Participant
Participant

Hello @syedz  (please provide your dev team with the attached vivado_pid44456.str file for debug).

Do you know how much testing was done before the migration feature was released to distribution with v2021.1 in stock configuration, on Windows 10 against v2020.2? Here is what I did, which echoes the problem mentioned above, and dear XILINX team how do you expect engineers to work with your products if we waste 1.5 days in downloading the new version and then fight to :

1. Use Vivado 2020.2 to FILE > PROJECT > ARCHIVE a simple FPGA application into a '_____.xpr.zip' file.
  2. Make a clone of the project by unzipping the ______.xpr.zip file into a ________.xpr directory - that is seperate from the original v2020.2 repo directory.
  3. Use Vivado 2021.1 to FILE > PROJECT OPEN > the project and choose to open read-only.
  4. Yes, it does open to read only, and I see there is a archive_project_summary.txt now shown in the Text category.
  5. I double click it and .... wait and wait ... and wait and wait .... 
  6. 30 minutes later the file is opened. 30 MINUTES LATER. ------------------------------  In this case, its a XILINX produced  text file!
  7. I had to kill the process as it hung, and then restarted, opened read-only and I am still awaiting 2.5h from the time I chose to SAVE AS. 

Sure, the old project needs to be saved as different project name, to allow me to use it in Vivado 2021.1, but there too, previously trying to Migrate in-place, was taking OVER 2 HOURS before I got frustrated and killed it. And all this time no updates (status messages in the control panel) on the background process - Really, is it so difficult to just let the user know what they are waiting on, and if they should clock off (not get paid!) because it would take a long while to migrate a 20 line HDL project? 

What would you recommend we tell our customers/managers/business partners - Ah. It's XILINX, again? (CPU was reasonable, MEM usage on 12 GB was reasonable)

At the moment I am trying to just click on any menu (e.g., Project > Open Log File) and NO ACTIVITY. So for me it is not useable.

When I next try, I will attempt to Migrate it, but it seems the problem is deeper than just Sigasi as some have posited. 

Kindly assist us. 

Tags (3)