cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

vivado memory leak

In Vivado 2015.3 after opening an IP block with "Edit in IP Packager" Vivado becomes unresponsive and starts increasing it's memory usage by 20 MB/S (yes MB). This is on Win 7 64-bit.

It is unusable like this.

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pthomas

Do you see this issue only with a specific IP. I was not able to reproduce this on my machine.

Can you try packaging example design and then opening it in "edit in IP packager"? Does this hang too?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

I've have also experienced this in but in Vivado 2015.1 and was hoping it wouldn't occur in 2015.3 (which I am dur to upgrade to at the next break in the design). :-(

I have never managed to pin it down to one specific piece of IP, it seemed to happen randomly. It also seemed to occur when closing down the Vivado window for the IP you have just edited. The main project window would sit there showing "Closing project xxxx" (or words to that effect) and then just keep eating memory until you killed everything off from the task manager.

As far as "edit in IP packager" goes, I found that it quite often worked fine if you killed the Vivado session, re-opened it and tried again. It seems to get stuck either creating or opening the project file, but it was never consistently doing it on one particular piece of IP (at least it wasn't consistent for me)

Are there any logs or anything that might be useful should this happen again to me? I haven't raised it as I hoped it would sort itself out in the new version and I thought it was just my project/install. I have just been kind of working around the problem.

Regards

Simon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Deepika,

This was an example, it was created with the "Create and Package IP" with just modified VHDL. What info do you need to figure out what is wrong? Doesn't Xilinx get a lot of info via Webtalk?

Also, for me this wasn't happening with Vivado 2015.2.

thanks,
Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

It desn't appear to be related to how it is opened. I opened the IP in a separate Vivado instance, everything was fine for a little bit, both were under 1GB. Then the project one took off with memory usage quickly going over 5GB.

I'll try and narrow down the trigger more.

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Yes, I see this problem a lot too, fairly randomly, but especially after I have updated a simple custom IP block.

Currently editing a fairly modest K7 design, but memory usage shot up to 14 GBytes. Can't be healthy....

Clive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm seeing the same thing in Vivado 2015.4 on Win7 x64.  It happens every so often when editting a custom IP core within the IP packager.  The two triggers I've seen are: (1) clicking the save button after editting some VHDL code in the temporary packager project and (2) clicking "Package IP" under "Review and Package" in the packaging menu of the temporary packger project.  Memory gets eaten up at about 20 - 25MB/sec until all of my RAM is gone unless I kill Vivado first.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Yea I'm having the same problem when I edit an ip, or open a custom ip and run a simulation.  Today I could make it happen by just editing the vhdl code (adding a blank line) in the ip and saving it.  Memory usage continues to climb until nothing works.  I'm using two different desktops....one with 8Gig and the other with 16 Gig.  Windows 7 on both.  Same thing happens on both machines. Vivado will take up as much memory as you have.  There's definately a problem here somewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I tried version 2016.1 and it has the same issue when editing a custom IP or running a simulation of that IP.  i.e. it continues to hog memory until response times are so slow that work is impossible.  If I close the simulation manually or with TCL script "close_sim",  vivado will not relinquish the memory it is using....same as before.  You must exit vivado totally to recover the memory.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm having the same memory issues with 2016.1. I have several custom IPs. Memory is not released after re-packaging IP. After several edit IP sessions, work station is very unresponsive, can you say page swapping krazy. I have to get out of Vivado and get back in again. 

Chad

Dell T3500

Xeon W3530 CPU

12GB RAM

Win10/64

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I have the problem as well.

In my case it usually happens when I re-package my custom IP using the IP-XACT editor.

Vivado never finishes the packaging tasks and eats up memory until it gets killed by Windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Xilinx - we need an answer on this. We have had to modify designs so that the bulk of our design is not accessable using IP Packager due to this memory leak.

In our company, I'm the only one who doesn't experience this issue. Strangly, all of us have company-supplied computers configured with the same corporate image using the same version of Vivado working on the same Vivado project. Every engineer (except me) will have their memory maxed out and computer become unresponsive when they open a custom IP in IP Packager.

Is there some log file we can send to Xilinx? We could do a test of opening an IP on my machine and one of our other machines and see why mine works and the other computer crashes. I could then send you the two log files.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

BTW...we're using 2015.4.1 but have had this issue for awhile.

Kevin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I've been able to work around this issue in 2015.4 for a few weeks now just by opening and editting my packaged IP from a smaller dummy project rather than from my main project, which is rather large and uses a lot of RAM.  That is, I started a new project, added an empty block design, pointed the project to my user IP repo directory, then started accessing and editting my packaged IPs by going to Window > IP Catalog.  From my main project all I have to do is upgrade whatever I've re-packaged.

I could just be getting lucky, but I haven't seen the issue since I started working this way.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Add me to the list, I'm running into the same problem with Vivado 2015.4 on a Win7 64bit system.

The memory leak seems to occur when I make a change to a custom IP outside IP Packager. Vivado detects the change and brings up a "Refresh IP Catalog" tool at the top of the Project Manager screen. When I click on the button, Vivado starts eating memory for a few minutes and the GUI is unresponsive. Once it stops eating memory, the IP usually refreshes fairly quickly but my memory usage has gone from about 600MB to >4.5GB.

If I just continue on and need to make another change to the IP, I get another large increase in memory, again by about 4GB after it settles. Eventually my computer gets to about 95%+ memory usage and everything is really slow. I usually close and re-open the project now after I make a change and refresh the IP just to avoid this, which is a pain.

I've run into similar problems when making changes using IP Packager as well. The problem usually occurs when I close the IP Packager project, Vivado gets stuck in some background task trying to close the project and update. Memory usage goes up but eventually settles after about a 4GB increase and I can use Vivado again, which I usually just close down and reopen the project.

This has been happening for a while and I was really hoping to hear that there was a fix for this release or that one of the 2016 releases would have addressed the issue. There seems to be enough people with memory leak problems reported that Vivado should have been fixed by now.

Doug

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi again.

FYI: I am still seeing this issue when using 2015.4 under Windows 10.

It seems that this is a recurring theme among users:

Sometimes the IP Packager opens and closes fine.

Other times this issue occurs after closing the IP Packager and returning to the top level Vivado project.

Xilinx, please investigate. It is a very disruptive problem.

Clive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I downloaded vivado 2016.2 today.  After some preliminary testing, it looks like Xilinx may have fixed the memory leak problem.  Editing of custom ip and saving it seems to be working now, at least so far.  Also the "Report IP Status" function seems to be working too.....previously I had to totally exit the project and re-load it before the status would show that I had made a change to the IP so that I could update it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but I am seeing the issue in 2016.2.  Looks like Xilinx didn't fix this issue in the latest release...

Vivado is totally unusable.  I have been using 5% of my time modifying my custom IP and 95% of my time waiting for the GUI to become responsive.  Xilinx needs to fix this ASAP!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I can confirm this with 2016.2 on Win7 x64.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello.

I can confirm this issue is happening in 2016.1 tools, in multiple independent designs, and on different machines using Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Clive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

.... and now I can confirm that I am also seeing this problem occurring when using 2016.2.

Clive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

In my experience Vivado seems to use a lot of memory even for modest designs. I have a design in a Kintex 160T and when running synthesis my machine practically grinds to a halt. I dont have a top of the range system but its still not too bad (AMD 6 cores and 8GB). I shudder to think what a Virtex Ultracscale needs to run!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi fellow sufferers.

I was getting fed up with this issue, so I contacted my distributor support. I sent him an archive (generated by the Vivado archiver) of a design with which I was experiencing this trouble. He said the issue didn't occur for him when he ran my design. 

Curious about this, I created a separate project from the archive that I had sent him. Sure enough, the issue did not seem to occur during the handful of times that I experimentally Edited a core in IP Packager. So it seems that archiving "resolved" the issue.

This is not a solution, but might help us point Xilinx in the right direction.

In the interest of pursuing a practical resolution, I would appreciate hearing of other folks' experiences using a fresh archive of their design. Does this "solve" the issue for you?

Notably, when archiving, my IP Integrator libraries are collated into the archive. Could this be an issue with these libraries?

Could it be something stupid like file-paths being too long?

All ideas welcomed.

Clive

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Same issue here. I have to close the main project before re-packaging the IP then re-open it after. Otherwise it can easily run away with all your RAM and once it hits capacity, not even Task Manager will open and that is when you are screwed. Win7 x64, 2015.4.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Add our Xilinx developers to the list.

I see all the same behavior noted above, but I even have this issue when editing IP outside the IP Packager... My main project will detect the change and the BD will display the clickable "Show IP Status" hyperlink. But the tool is hung with memory usage just running away. Have to kill it in the Task Manager and re-open Vivado.

Truly frustrating.

Lenovo W540

32 GB RAM

Win7 x64

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I too have this problem and Xilinx says that this is a known issue but there is no solution as to how to fix it yet. It does seem to be something with certain projects though, as I have experienced it since using 2015.2 all the way through 2016.2. I have one project that does not exhibit this behavior and another that will do it almost every time. Same Vivado release, same computer and both point to the same custom IP (one targets a picozed the other targets a custom carrier board). I guess I could take the time to try and find the root cause but this issue already is a productivity killer and with the convoluted way Vivado handles its file structure I don't even want the pain. Just another wonderful Vivado feature......
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

OK. I'm back on this again. I had stopped working on any projects that required me to edit IP.

Now, I am working with 2016.4. I have a new project where I need to create my own IP once more. I edited a simple IP block in IP packager and guess what.... Same Issue!

Come on Xilinx. Can you please at least acknowledge this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have given up long ago on Vivado and its memory usage.

For me, it is random when it occurs (but also modifying IP), on various machines.
But - just today, looking at the Vivado installer: eating up one full CPU core and 3GB+ of RAM.. while it was just in the "downloading" phase!... Yes, just the installer.

I just accepted at some point that there must be - in general - sloppy programmers at work, who probably don't know where to start fixing those issues.

:-(

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

After too many times to count when Vivado gobbled up almost all of 16GB of RAM and brought my Windows 7 machine to a crawl, I did a web search for "Vivado Memory Leak" and it brought me here.

This thread started on Nov. 11, 2015. More users reported the problem all the way to April 2017, with many users begging Xilinx to acknowledge and comment on it. The only moderator contribution appears to be a weak effort on Nov. 11, 2015, in response to the original post. So, it is approaching two years with Xilinx' head in the sand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi nyostlernm. Which Vivado version are you using? I have started using 2017.1 and I find it is much better in this respect. I have been happily editing custom IP Integrator blocks and have had zero memory-leak related crashes. I have stopped short of saying that the issue is fixed (!!), but am interested in finding out others experience with 2017.1.

0 Kudos