UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

where to find Xilinx interface naming conventions

Jump to solution

When I create for example an external port on an AXI IIC interface, IPI creates a 'bundled' port named 'IIC' by default.

Xilinx interface definitions.jpg

In the XDC file, package pins can be connected to these IIC interface signals.

However these signal names in the XDC file seem to adhere to strict naming conventions, for example for the IIC I found somewhere in a tutorial that these must be named like :

set_property PACKAGE_PIN Y26 [get_ports IIC_scl_io]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN Y25 [get_ports IIC_sda_io]

so the full port name must be 'the name of the interface port' (IIC here) followed by _scl_io and _sda_io

• Q1 : Where can I find the documenation / conventions for naming these 'xilinx interface' pins, for all pre-defined Xilinx interfaces? Or must I use IO planner to find these out?
  • Q2: Also where can I find information on how to define / re-use my own interface definitions? Is there any doc / tutorial on this?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: where to find Xilinx interface naming conventions

Jump to solution
1) checkout ...Xilinx/Vivado/20..../data/ip/interfaces
2) Try the menu item "Create Interface Definition" in Vivado.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
1) checkout ...Xilinx/Vivado/20..../data/ip/interfaces
2) Try the menu item "Create Interface Definition" in Vivado.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Q2: The underlying standard is IEEE 1685-2009 IP-XACT available at no cost - thx to Accelera - on the IEEE standard https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/1685-2009.html . You'll find some examples of interfaces in the Xilinx install directory. For the rest you're pretty much on your own...

I'll advise you - once you understand IP-XACT - to make a small design, compile it and have a look to the files generated by Vivado. We went through this process and once yo uunderstand it it works pretty well and is quite powerful. Xilinx provides an IP packager but we find it better to write the xml files on our own and only use the IP packager to verify the syntax... because the only real drawback w/ Vivado and IP-XACT is that there is not (yet) a really good IP-XACT debugging capabilities.