Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Design preservation excluding a module under development

Jump to solution

I see that Xilinx approach to reuse the implementation are the partitions. I have managed to implement a design with a black-box (partition) in the PlanAhead. Map and Place&Route have completed successfully. Now, it wants the black-box to be specified every time when I open the implementation. The question is: How do I supply it?

I see a tutorial on partial reconfiguration, where PlanAhead allocates the space for a black-box. But, I do not want any dynamic reconfiguration nor have a license for that. Is it possible to statically update a single module in the implemented design/bitstream? Is partial implementation rather than reconfiguration is supported?

I read through the "PlanAhead Tool Design Preservation Flow Steps" in Hierarchical design methodology and have no idea which partition should I preserve to preserve the whole design except single module. I see that Xilinx approach to promoting partitions does not work here since to preserve the whole design I must make it a partition and black-box child module seems also need to be a partition. This means a nested partitions, that PlanAhead refuses to create, despite I see the following example of PXML:

<Project FileVersion="1.2" Name="Example" ProjectVersion="2.0">
  <Partition Name="/top" State="implement" ImportLocation="NONE">
    <Partition Name="/top/module_A" 
       State="import" ImportLocation="/home/user/Example/export" Preserve="routing">
    </Partition>

<Partition Name="/top/module_B" State="import" ImportLocation="../export" Preserve="routing"/>
    <Partition Name="/top/module_C" State="implement" ImportLocation="../export" Preserve="placement"/>
  </Partition>
</Project>

which clearly shows that nested partitions are possible. I have highlighted module_A nested into the top and both are partitions, if you do not see this.

This accomplishes the incremental implementation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Design preservation excluding a module under development

Jump to solution

Ok, I have discovered the secret. When you promote the partitions, you can alwasy promote the top as well,

PlanAhead-promoting.png

Then, you just import the top and implement the modified module, http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Hierarchical-Design/No-quot-Current-launch-options-quot-in-the-Implementation/m-p/334481#M796

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Design preservation excluding a module under development

Jump to solution

Ok, I have discovered the secret. When you promote the partitions, you can alwasy promote the top as well,

PlanAhead-promoting.png

Then, you just import the top and implement the modified module, http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Hierarchical-Design/No-quot-Current-launch-options-quot-in-the-Implementation/m-p/334481#M796

View solution in original post

0 Kudos