Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

manging custom IP versions

Hi

I am a novice to Vivado.

I have created a IP as per the xilinx flow, however, whenever i create a subsequent release of the IP, and create a new version number, I need to create a package using tools->create new package . Only then the updated files are copied. However if I update the package from project manager - package IP, the IP release directory does not take in any update.

The problem in using tools-> create new package , is i lose all the modifications I have done to the component.xml file, mainly custom interfaces.

Can someone help me understand the correct flow ?

Thanks

Sameer

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Sameer,

I recommend checking out the Creating and Packagin Custom IP User Guide. Let me know if that helps:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug1118-vivado-creating-packaging-custom-ip.pdf

Ebrahim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem ( using vivado V2019.2)  .

It looks like a bug to me considering that the source files in the custom ip dir src/ are not updated while the .xml is updated  and vivado say that "Finished packaging... successfully"

My  custom  IP was originally created using Tools -> Create and package New Ip -> Package current project  . The top of the project  is a vhdl wrapper that instanciates a Block design which includes several  block designs and RTL blocks. All HDL source files are "remote" in a folder  structure ouside the project tree .

In the doc referenced in the answer (  https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_1/ug1118-vivado-creating-packaging-custom-ip.pdf), I dont see anything related to this problem . 

I read many vivado reference guides, tutorials , app notes   , and  still do not understand how  vivado deals with  remote source files Vs imported files when its time to create and most importantly "update" custom ips using the "Edit Packaged IP" .  All i know is  that  remote source files are copied in ip dir src/ the first time it is created  but not updated when re-pakaging  the ip.

The only solution  i found to this is repackaging from scratch  either with the gui or the tcl command  ipx::package_project command  

Did i missed something ?

Regards

0 Kudos