UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor aae65
Visitor

outputting signal bits to virtex-5 pins

Hello,

I am using virtex-5 FX30T fpga, i wrote, and simulated a code that generates triangular and sawtooth signals (8 output bits), and i need to output these bits to appropriate pins to connect them to a DAC (digital to analog converter). I looked at all relevant datasheets. This (http://www.files.em.avnet.com/files/177/xlx_v5fxt_evl-ug-rev1.pdf) is the datasheet for the fpga, the xilinx user guide for fpga's (http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs150/sp13/resources/ug190.pdf) makes it seem that i should use OBUF outputs (chapter 6), and the virtex 5 gpfa packaging and pinout (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug195.pdf) doesn't seem to offer any clear indications as to what pins are OBUF(my device is the one corresponding to the table starting at page 40 (FF665)).

How can i know to what pins should i map my outputs in the ucf constraints file in order to able to output the bits of my signal and then use them to drive a digital-to-analog cicuit (such as a R-2R ladder)?

Thank You

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: outputting signal bits to virtex-5 pins

Almost ALL IO pins can be configured as OBUF...

Any IO pin that can output, will output, if it is instantiated as an OBUF.

One post, on one forum is sufficient, do not multiple post the same question.  OK?  I see all posts, and so do many others.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor aae65
Visitor

Thank you for your help. I just wanted to check if i could use (for example) DDR2 pins to output the bits, but using the virtex-5 datasheets i can see the corresponding pin numbers of various pins but i cannot see them on the actual board; on the board i usually see what is known as reference number (for example http://www.files.em.avnet.com/files/177/xlx_v5fxt_evl-ug-rev1.pdf page 15 shows the distinction between reference number and pin number), so are the DDR2 unavaiable in order to use them to drive an external cicuit? If they are, how can i locate them on my board and if not, then what pins could be used and connected to an external circuit (perhaps through a simple wire)?

Thank You,

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

DDR2 pins,

Implies that you are interfacing to DDR2 memories.  For that, you have to look at the schematics, and the DDR2 memory interface generator (MIG).  There are restrictions of which pins may be used, due to timing, skew, etc.  That is why the board is made the way it is, and connected as shown in the schematics.  If you are doing your own board, follow the recommendations exactly -- no changes.

And read about the MIG.  And read the all the users guides.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor aae65
Visitor

Thank you for your reply,

I just have a few concerns. I am trying to use the SAM pins (they can be configured as general purpose user I/O pins) as output pins and want to use them to drive an external circuit. I have designed and simulated codes for generating digital signals. I wanted to try and see if i can obtain a voltage across some of these pins ebfore trying to generate signals. I did a very simple example in which i tried setting some output pins as OBUF such that their I/O standard matches the Vcc of their bank (3.3V). But i have not been successful in obtaining a voltage across the pins. Also, even the pins which are in the data sheet set to 3.3 V (http://www.files.em.avnet.com/files/177/xlx_v5fxt_evl-ug-rev1.pdf page 18 pin 1), when i measure the voltage from them to ground i also don't get any reading. Aren't such pins fixed to 3.3V? Any thoughts on how to be able to obtain a voltage? Also, this is the simple code i am using to test the pins:

library IEEE; use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL;

Library UNISIM; use UNISIM.vcomponents.all;

-- Uncomment the following library declaration if using

-- arithmetic functions with Signed or Unsigned values

--use IEEE.NUMERIC_STD.ALL;

-- Uncomment the following library declaration if instantiating -- any Xilinx primitives in this code. --library UNISIM; --use UNISIM.VComponents.all;

entity testingsampins is    

Port ( clk : in  STD_LOGIC;            test : out  STD_LOGIC);

end testingsampins;

architecture Behavioral of testingsampins is

signal test1: std_logic;

component OBUF  port(I: in STD_LOGIC; O: out STD_LOGIC);  

end component;

begin

U3 : OBUF port map (I => test1, O => test);

test1<='1';

end Behavioral;

Here is my UCF file:

NET "clk" IOSTANDARD = LVTTL;

NET "test" IOSTANDARD = LVTTL;

NET "test" LOC = F5;

0 Kudos
Visitor aae65
Visitor

(The clock is of course unneccasary, i included it out of habit)

0 Kudos
Visitor aae65
Visitor

problem solved! (i wasn't putting the probes of the multimeter on the base of the pins, i was putting it at their tip)

I just want to check is my methodology for obuf instantiation and mapping correct?

0 Kudos
Visitor aae65
Visitor

Hello,

I didn't want to start a new post because the topic is still under outputting bits... When outputting a 16 bit triangular signal and connecting it to a DAC, i get multiple interfering versions of it, but when using 8 bits it works fine. Could this be due to the 16 bits not being outputted simultaneously?, I instantiated all the output pins as OBUF LVTTL. If they are always outputted simultaneously, any thoughts for the reason behind this behavior?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

a,

Uh, did you use a clock?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor aae65