UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

planahead does not recognize ngc cores

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a project that uses a block ram core from Xilinx Core Gen. I added the wrapper file and the file with .ngc extension to the plan ahead project using "add source". The ngc file shows up under Source->libraries->NGC->unreferenced->multiplier32X32Bits.ngc.

When I try to implement my netlist I get the following error:

[NgdBuild 604] logical block 'io_interface/dac_controller/dac_gain_mult' with type 'multiplier32x32bits' could not be resolved. A pin name misspelling can cause this, a missing edif or ngc file, case mismatch between the block name and the edif or ngc file name, or the misspelling of a type name. Symbol 'multiplier32x32bits' is not supported in target 'spartan3e'.

The same file compiles fine in project navigator (ISE) with macro search path set to the folder that contains that ngc file.

I should note that when I added the wrapper file and ngc file to the planahead project, I did not tick the box that said " copy to project folder"

Any ideas why planahead cannot locate the ngc properly.

I attached a picture of the error

Thanks a lot for any help resolving this issue.

Amish

planahead pic.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: planahead does not recognize ngc cores

Jump to solution

For those who run into this issue in the future. This is the answer from the xilinx rep:

Under Translate/More add the follow "-sd C:\perforce\projects\DEV\E9318_SuperNova\P07_Compensator_FPGA_FASTDSP\Source\src\Cores\DPRAM256x32Bits

do this for all cores

-sd is basically setting macro search path like I use to do in project navigator (ISE).

Clearly planahead 13.3 is not smart enough to look for ngc file in the same directory as the .vhd wrapper

Hope this solves the issue. Thanks for help,

Amish

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
Forgot to add using Plan ahead 13.3 with an RTL project
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

A bit of a "shot in the dark", but I believe the file name needs to exactly match the module name.  You mentioned the file name had a lower case "bits" and the error complains about the module with an uppercase "Bits".  

If this is not the issue, you may want to open a case with tech support to get someone to take a quick look at it.

0 Kudos
Visitor enchanter
Visitor

Jump to solution

As I know, it is a bug in 13.3. You can try to set the "Hierarchy Update" as 'No update" can solve that problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

For those who run into this issue in the future. This is the answer from the xilinx rep:

Under Translate/More add the follow "-sd C:\perforce\projects\DEV\E9318_SuperNova\P07_Compensator_FPGA_FASTDSP\Source\src\Cores\DPRAM256x32Bits

do this for all cores

-sd is basically setting macro search path like I use to do in project navigator (ISE).

Clearly planahead 13.3 is not smart enough to look for ngc file in the same directory as the .vhd wrapper

Hope this solves the issue. Thanks for help,

Amish

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

This behavior is by design.  All sources that are to be used in a project should be added to the proejct.  In this case the best option is to add the specific NGC files that you want the design to use to the project.  This way there is no ambiquity about what files are being picked up (e.g. if you have duplicate NGCs in diferent diretories).

0 Kudos