UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor doc_black
Visitor

Automatically loading enumeration symbolic names when debugging

In the Vivado debugger, Waveform window, my FSM is displayed as a numeric value.  It is possible to right-click on my FSM signal and "Edit Enumeration..." to provide symbolic names and then have those displayed, but it requires typing in every state and value.  We've ported our project over from Altera and there are quite a few FSMs with quite a few states.  Is there a way to get Vivado to automatically assign the state machine names to the debugger probe so that we don't need to manually edit them in and handle when states change in the debugger?

The closest thing I've found is that you can use Tcl commands to enter the states, but it still requires manually entering all the states.  The synthesizer must know the name-value association because it assigns the values, so surely there is some way to get this information automatically transferred over to the debugger?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Visitor jaeckel
Visitor

Re: Automatically loading enumeration symbolic names when debugging

Yep, that's really braindead that the tools don't do that automatically.

I'd even go so far to say that it's harmful to let the user enter this, as the FSM could be encoded as counter or one-hot and suddenly the values won't match...
0 Kudos