UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jkrishnanv
Visitor

Chipscope does not trigger

I need some urgent help on this chipscope issue I am facing. 

Previously I had used chipscope by inserting core in Navigator (RTL, prior to synthesis), or on ngc file. this time, due to vendor flow, i must instantiate the ICON and ILA in RTL and then implement it. I cannto use Navigator due to this vendor flow that we must follow. Vendor flow is makefile based.

so I created the core in a directory, then instantiated just the module. in the RTL, for translate I give the search path where ngc files are present

Problem I am facing is - when I download the code using Impact then open the cable through Analyzer, it is not detecting any core. If I download the bit file also with Analyzer, it detects the core, but it does not trigger - even with immediate trigger option -  showing slow or stopped clock.

I confirmed that ILA is present using FPGA editor.

One issue I onserved is vendor supplied system is targetted for 10ns main clock, the moment I insert chipscope , it violates the clock by 1.5 to 2+ ns. Could this give a stopped clock issue ? 

Another point is when I create ICON, it gives the control port as inout - is this an issues ? It should have been only an output ? Chipscope_ila_tut.pdf ( Page 6) is giving this port as output only.

I have confirmed the flow is OK , on a small test design, though using a Navigator project- so it is not that I miss something very grave.

I have gone through AR19337, and those all are ok in my case

My RTL is as below. ------------------------------

main code body is like this, in the same file, I have defined modules of ICON and ILA.

module declaration,
port wire,reg etc.
vendor logic

// custom Logic for which I need to put scope

always @(posedge clk)
if(rst)
begin
duc_enb_reg <= 1'b0 ;
dac_reg <= 4'h0 ;
end
else
begin
duc_enb_reg <= duc_enb ;
dac_reg <= da_c ;
end

chipscope_icon chipscope_icon (
.CONTROL0 (CONTROL0 )
) ;

chipscope_ila chipscope_ila (
.CLK (clock),
.CONTROL ( CONTROL0) ,
.TRIG0 ( dac_reg)
) ;

endmodule // dsp_core

module chipscope_ila (
CLK, CONTROL, TRIG0
) ;
input CLK;
inout [35 : 0] CONTROL;
input [7 : 0] TRIG0;
endmodule

module chipscope_icon (
CONTROL0
) ;
inout [35 : 0] CONTROL0; // this was inout, ch
endmodule

<EOF>

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor jkrishnanv
Visitor

Re: Chipscope does not trigger

I have an update. I took simple MAP commands from a another example code and did a map onwards, and then chipscope core detected and I am able to make a immediate trigger. Now a new problem started. Ethernet is not being detected by a computer. Ethernet is the only way to communicate with my design.

this was the original Map commands where it did not detect the chipscopre core, but it did detect Ethernet.

map -intstyle ise -p xc3sd3400a-fg676-5 -timing -logic_opt on -ol high -xe n -t 1 -register_duplication on -cm speed -detail -ir off -ignore_keep_hierarchy -pr off -power off -o xxxx.ncd xxxx.ngd xxxx.pcf

but  when I gave this simple command, it detected chipscope core, but ethernet was not detected.

map -intstyle ise -p xc3sd3400a-fg676-5 -cm area -ir off -pr off -c 100 -o xxxx.ncd xxxx.ngd xxxx.pcf 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

I am not sure why you are adding a module declaration for the ILA & ICON cores.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor jkrishnanv
Visitor

Then what is the other method of getting a chipscope cores instantiated in RTL. if I instantiate it in RTL, i should declare a module , correct ? 

In the code above i have the module declared in the same file , where I instantiated. But later I have separate files ( created by coregen), but in any case, it is all same. 

So please let me know your thought process.

-Jk

0 Kudos

Generate the ILA & ICON cores > In the same folder you would find a .vho or .veo based on the langauge. Open that and copy paste the instantiation template in your code. Make the post level connections and thats all what you need to the tool to take care of everything. The IP cores are treated as black box and you need not have any module declared for them.
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos

@jkrishnanv Is this issue resolved? Feel free to post the solution for others to use is future.

Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos