UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Create x1 MCS-File with PROMGEN instead of x8

Jump to solution

Hello,

I want to create a .MCS-File from my .BIT file using PROMGEN. The creation of the file works, but iMPACT delivers an error when I try to program this file into the flash: 

The 'Data Width' you assigned is x1 but the PROM file (.mcs) is generated in a x8 mode. Please double check your assignments or it may not work properly.

iMPACT is right, I am using an SPI-Flash with 1 data line (S25FL128S). But I am out of ideas how I should tell PROMGEN how to create the .MCS-File otherwise. My command line is

promgen -w -p mcs -c FF -o FinalFiles\//generator.mcs -s 16384 -u 0000 "fpga-firmware.runs/impl_1/generator.bit" -spi 

I have copied this line out of the .prm-File, which iMPACT has generated, and adapted the file paths. I have also added the option -g SPI_Buswidth:1 to the Bitstream Settings in PlanAhead. Now I am out of ideas.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: Create x1 MCS-File with PROMGEN instead of x8

Jump to solution
Did you go ahead and program the file anyway to check? There should be a way to generate a file using promgen. Please program the file and let me know your results.
-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@hardwareheini if you have-g SPI_Buswidth:1 then I think it should work, did you try?

if not working, please give it a try with -data_width 1 argument in your promgen command.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Pratham,

-data_width 1 did not work. Promgen complained: Command line error: Switch "-data_width" has invalid
value. Argument[7] "1" needs to match one of these keywords: "8|16|32".

Regarding the BITGEN-Argument -g SPI_buswidth:1 I have tried this repeatedly and it does not work. PlanAhead seems to understand the added flag. The log tells me *** Running bitgen with args "Generator_routed.ncd" "Generator.bit" "Generator.pcf" -g SPI_buswidth:1 -w -intstyle pa

I guess I have to use continue using iMPACT for this...

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution
Did you go ahead and program the file anyway to check? There should be a way to generate a file using promgen. Please program the file and let me know your results.
-Pratham

Jump to solution

I have flashed the .MCS-file I generated with PROMGEN successfuly into the FPGA and he is working as expected.

Christian

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@hardwareheini Great! I was expecting this would work.

Please close this thread.

-Pratham

0 Kudos