UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Using System ILA to debug

Jump to solution

Hi all.

I have any problems during DMA test using UltraScale+ ZCU106.

I made a code for my accelerator in Vivado_HLS, then I did synthesis and export RTL.

Then, in Vivado, I created block design and implement the system using zynq IP, DMA, and my accelerator IP.

After bitstream, I created an application project (helloworld) in SDK.

I typed the code for DMA simple transfer.

Input data are transfered successfully, but output transfer is not done...(DMA cannot return to idle state.)

So, I performed debug using System ILA IP in vivado while I referenced below tutorial.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug940-vivado-tutorial-embedded-design.pdf

I can follow tutorial to debug using System ILA, but I cannot find "hw_ila_1" like Figure 35 in 31 page of tutorial...

What should I do for it...?

If you need to more detail, please reply!

I will wait your advice!!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using System ILA to debug

Jump to solution

Hi @jisu ,

So you followed the tutorial in UG940, but when you open the HW Manager you don't see the "hw_ila_1" at all?

Could you please look at the TCL console and see if there's any warning or error in there? Normally, if the ILA had an issue and can't get started, there will be a message in the console telling what went wrong. If you see any error, please post it in here so we can try to better understand the error.

In addition, since you are following the tutorial, please be aware that you have to re-generate the implementation and the bitstream after you insert the System ILA. Then, you have to reprogram the board with this new bitstream. Since you had already created a previous bitstream, make sure you are now using the new one and not the old one.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @jisu ,

So you followed the tutorial in UG940, but when you open the HW Manager you don't see the "hw_ila_1" at all?

Could you please look at the TCL console and see if there's any warning or error in there? Normally, if the ILA had an issue and can't get started, there will be a message in the console telling what went wrong. If you see any error, please post it in here so we can try to better understand the error.

In addition, since you are following the tutorial, please be aware that you have to re-generate the implementation and the bitstream after you insert the System ILA. Then, you have to reprogram the board with this new bitstream. Since you had already created a previous bitstream, make sure you are now using the new one and not the old one.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you for excellent reply, @anunesgu .

I used ILA to check the signals of DMA such as data and last signals because I doubted those signals are not working exactly in SDK.

But I solved my problem.

The size of input stream was wrong...

So I do not need to use ILA to chack the value of some signals.

I will follow your answer when I use the ILA IP and face to error about it again.

Thank you!

0 Kudos