UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor zozo
Visitor

static power in vivado

Jump to solution

hi community, i'm a bigenner in the world of FPGA, i tried to use the vivado tool to get the power consumption for a design. my first question is when the toggle rate is 100% would that mean that the power we get is the maximum?

my second question is in vivado we get two power one static and one dynamic. As we all know each IP has a static and dynamic power, so i get my dynamic power for each IP but the static one would it be the power static device?

thank you for replying as soon as possible  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: static power in vivado

Jump to solution

@zozo: Below are my comments for your queries

Q1) my first question is when the toggle rate is 100% would that mean that the power we get is the maximum?

• If toggle rate is 100% then power consumption is more that to depends upon switching frequency.
  • But please note that the maximum power consumption not only depends upon toggle rate but manly depends upon logic resources utilisation, switching rates, ambient temperatures, thermal dissipation capability etc. 
  • FYI: For more information about power usage please visit  https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power.html#overview and refer relevant documents as per your requirement

Q2) my second question is in vivado we get two power one static and one dynamic. As we all know each IP has a static and dynamic power, so i get my dynamic power for each IP but the static one would it be the power static device?

• Static power is mainly due to reverse bias leakage currents of PN junctions and is device dependent and does not depends upon user design.
  • When powered ON static power always dissipates irrespective of usage of logic, IP's,,  So static power consumption value specified for total device but it is not not easy to estimate static powers IP/Block wise.
  • So the foot note is that Xilinx power tools (XPE/Vivado_power) do not shows static power IP/Block wise. 

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@zozo: Below are my comments for your queries

Q1) my first question is when the toggle rate is 100% would that mean that the power we get is the maximum?

• If toggle rate is 100% then power consumption is more that to depends upon switching frequency.
  • But please note that the maximum power consumption not only depends upon toggle rate but manly depends upon logic resources utilisation, switching rates, ambient temperatures, thermal dissipation capability etc. 
  • FYI: For more information about power usage please visit  https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power.html#overview and refer relevant documents as per your requirement

Q2) my second question is in vivado we get two power one static and one dynamic. As we all know each IP has a static and dynamic power, so i get my dynamic power for each IP but the static one would it be the power static device?

• Static power is mainly due to reverse bias leakage currents of PN junctions and is device dependent and does not depends upon user design.
  • When powered ON static power always dissipates irrespective of usage of logic, IP's,,  So static power consumption value specified for total device but it is not not easy to estimate static powers IP/Block wise.
  • So the foot note is that Xilinx power tools (XPE/Vivado_power) do not shows static power IP/Block wise. 

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Observer zineb
Observer

Jump to solution

hi @umamahe, first of all i would like to thank you for replying. i do have a question if it's possible, please is there any support or documentation to know the maximum power of each IP like processor, bus, memory?

because my goal is to estimate my power with another tool and then say that the values i got didn't exceed the maximum power.

regards

0 Kudos
Visitor zozo
Visitor

Jump to solution

hi @umamahe, thank you for replying. So how can we get the maximum power for different IPs? i mean is there any documentation because i didn't find anything!

regards

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

–In case of using XPE tool: - There is "IP Manager" spread sheet in XPE power estimation excel spread sheet for all latest device families. In that you can  emnter all IP details by using "Manange IP" tab. From that sheet you can also see on-chip summary details for FPGA. By changing different IP configurations you can find out differences in power consumption. Please refer http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/power_central/ug440.pdf  for more details about the usage of XPE tool. 

In case of using Vivado Power tool: - If you have implemented project then all required information will be extracted by VIvado power tool and display power consumption details for IP's also. Just you need to enter environmental details correctly. Please refer https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug907-vivado-power-analysis-optimization.pdf  to know more information about Vivado_power tool usage

Please let us know complete part number of the FPGA. So that I can send related snaps as an example.

Kind request: If there are any follow up queries/new queries with regards to this closed issue please post a new query. For reference purpose if you wish you may add this old forum link in your new forum post query. So that based on title each forum post is separately presented with specific issue basis. It help others who search for information based on forum post title. Thanks for understanding

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hi @umamahe

I am using xcku035FFVA1156 part for my custom board, We will connect to few other boards to my FPGA board. In this case how can i estimate max and min power requirements for FPGA both in static and dynamic cases. 

Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated. 

Thank You 

S Sampath Reddy

0 Kudos