UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

time based power analysis

I have posted this issue earlier but did not get satisfactory reply,

I want to measure time based  power. I know this option is available in some ancient version 9.i,

I am using 14.4.

what option will be suitable for me?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: time based power analysis

You may be looking for SAIF or VCD generation for Power Analysis. Refer to appendix - c of doc http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_4/plugin_ism.pdf for more details.
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I have seen your doc(appendix c), there are very less information regarding saif and vcd file. they only talked about the file generation. I took a look inside of this file, its readble, still i did not understand anything, how could I see the power consumption in each clock??

0 Kudos
Visitor smpqdzzhy
Visitor

Hi rourabpaul,

I have the same equestion with you, I also wanna see the the power consumption in each clock.

Did you find the answer? If you did, please give me a hand.

Thank you so much.

Joe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Any update on this? So far I understand that simulators can pump out an SAIF or VCD file but I've never seen one. Do these files present power vs time? If not, then what is the best way to present power vs time for an entire FPGA during a particular operation or sequence of operations

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

VCD or SAIF are files which store switching activity and not power numbers. You need another tool which takes the switching activity and the cell library which knows the power consumption of each cell and generates the instantaneous power consumption of all the cells in the gate level netlist to which the activity belongs. You can integrate the power over time to calculate the total energy or average power.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Explorer
Explorer

No guyes I did not get any solution but Im using 9.1 for time vs power curve, but there are lots of bugs in that ancient version ISE. power are not accurate also.

@muzaffer
do u have any idea which tool will be suitable for me?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

how i analysis vcd or sdif file to generate time vs power curve?
0 Kudos