UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using the write_hw_ila_data for a specific signal in hw_ila_data

Hi all

I am using chipscope ILA for record data and then analyze it using python.

I need to use hw_ila_data window with more than 5 signals (due to trigger option) but i want to export just one of them alone to CSV file.

When i use  write_hw_ila_data as describes in UG385 , i didn't see any option to specify the signal i want to export, this TCL command export the whole ila_data_hw window.

Is there any suggestion for me to export a specific signal from the ILA to EXCEL?

Itamar Eliyahu

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar brimdavis
Scholar

Re: using the write_hw_ila_data for a specific signal in hw_ila_data

itamare@foresight   "I need to use hw_ila_data window with more than 5 signals (due to trigger option) but i want to export just one of them alone to CSV file."

I don't know of any way to export just a single signal using write_hw_ila_data.

However, the CSV format is straightforward to parse to extract a given column of data; although I haven't done this in python, I posted a Matlab/Octave code snippet using textscan() a while back:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/Export-ILA-captured-Data-in-Vivado2014-4-as-a-Text-file/m-p/750041#M10182

A search on github turned up the following python I2C ILA parser code, which looks like a good starting point; although it is presently written to extract I2C transactions, the I2cParser() class looks easy to modify to extract a given column by name as binary or hex data:

https://github.com/paulscherrerinstitute/VivadoScripting/tree/master/IlaParsers/I2c

-Brian

-Brian

0 Kudos

thank you brian

i thought to use the Matlab textscan function as you mentioned but i have met a problem with the EXCEL raw data when using Hexadecimal format.

what i mean is the conversion of hex number which include E digit , to something like +E0... - for instance : hex value of 0123E0000 will be converted by EXCEL to 0123E+02...., any of cell format option provided by EXCEL didn't help me.

so i need to open the ILA exported EXCEL file with text editor and cut the wanted data

do you have any suggestion?

Itamar Eliyahu

0 Kudos
Scholar brimdavis
Scholar

itamare@foresight   "any of cell format option provided by EXCEL didn't help me. <snip> do you have any suggestion?"

I don't use Excel for this sort of processing; it will mangle hex and binary fields.

The following Perl one-liner will extract the fourth column (#3, as indexed from 0) of an ILA csv into another text file:

perl -nlaF/,/ -e "print\"$F[3]\"" ila_data_file.csv > column.txt

Note that this script doesn't strip the title header found in the first line.

Note that the above command line quoting works for a Windows command shell; on linux it would be something like this:

perl -nlaF/,/ -e 'print"$F[3]"' ila_data_file.csv > column.txt

-Brian

0 Kudos