cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

(13.3) ISE top level design, how to use SDK to talk to external ports during debugging

Jump to solution

I started from XPS and added system into ISE project. Now I want to develop software to talk to external logics which was implemented in top level ISE project through GPIO.

What I noticed is following:

1. I can build executable in SDK and add .elf to ISE project then generate bitstream (system_top.bit), program FPGA and I can see .elf drives external logic.

2. But if I use Export Hardware Design to SDK with Bitstream and go to SDK to program FPGA, the ${SDK}/$hw_platform/system.bit file doesn't have external logic. (I suspect it has only system part)

I don't know exact differecnes between system.bit adn system_top.bit other than Block RAM initialization part. But it's seems to me the system.bit doesn't talk to external logic during debugging.

I really want to be able to program the ISE project and do debugging in SDK on the whole system.

The next thing I will try is to start from ISE and add system as source. I learnt benefit of doing this way is to avoid those buffers added by XPS. Don't know if it will help my case or not.

Really puzzled, please comment.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Problem resolved by taking top down approach, starting from ISE and add system as source; then the "Export Hardware Design To SDK with Bitstream" is the whole system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Just to add: I can appreciate system_top.bit is supposed to be production release. So it won't have debugging module. 

system.bit is the EDK flow system bit file.

So I need to find out the right method of developing software for a system while XPS is a submodule.

Try and to fail .elf in system_top.bit is absolutely not the right thing to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Problem resolved by taking top down approach, starting from ISE and add system as source; then the "Export Hardware Design To SDK with Bitstream" is the whole system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos