cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

64bit inodes for source code causes "Value too large for defined data type" in ISE 14.x EDK powerpc-eabi-gcc

Hello

I have just imported a working Virtex 5 FPGA design with PPC build from a partner location and installed it on our local file system. However, the build now fails. Investigations so far indicate that the powerpc-eabi-gcc is not compiled to cope with 64 bit inodes in the file system. It works only so long as the actual inode of the source file fits in 32bits. This is a known problem with older gcc builds, of which the powerpc-eabi-gcc supplied with ISE 14.x appears to be one.

http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=44116

Error from the compiler build process:

cc1: error: ../../../include: Value too large for defined data type
cc1: error: xbasic_types.c: Value too large for defined data type

Checking the tool version

/dls_sw/apps/FPGA/Xilinx/14.6/ISE_DS/EDK/gnu/powerpc-eabi/lin/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc --version
powerpc-eabi-gcc (GCC) 4.1.1 20060524 (Xilinx 12.1 Build EDK_M.13 22 Jul 2009)
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

The design was originally built using 14.3, but I also tried 14.6 when this issue came up. The powerpc-eabi-gcc does not appear to have changed between these releases. I am using the 64bit ISE, but the compiler appears to be a 32 bit app anyway.

I checked
AR# 46491 ISE Design Suite 14 - Known Issues
AR# 47392 14.x EDK - Known Issues Master Answer Record
and this forum, but could not find any similar issues.

Xilinx make availablethe source for powerpc-eabi-gcc, but it is the same old version.

Is there a cross compiler version for the Virtex 5 PPC that will work on newer 64bit Linux installations?

0 Kudos
0 Replies