cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

EDK 11.1 with SDR SDRAM

In EDK 10.1 using Base System Builder, new design for custom board, there was an option to select SDR SDRAM.  Now with EDK 11.1 I do not see that option.... only DDR and DDR2.  Is Xilinx trying to tell me not to use SDR SDRAM in a new design, or am I expected to select DDR then change the mpmc core later to SDR ?

Thanks, 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: EDK 11.1 with SDR SDRAM

Hi jimbrady. I have changed mpmc to sdram and encounter with another problem: i can't set mpmc clock to 80Mhz, XPS don't allow me to do it. This this the clock of my sdram.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I encountered the same problem and the same feeling.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

km_zzy :

The Xilinx mpmc document says that SDR SDRAM is supported and explains how to use it (see link below) , so am proceeding with a design that uses it.  In a few weeks I will be able to say for sure if it works !  One thing to note is that there is some complication with needing an extra clock and a DCM to generate it, and playing with the DCM phase shift to optimize timing.  But I gather that if the SDRAM clock speed is low enough you can just go with a fixed phase extra clock.  Even so I think it is still simpler than using a DDR SDRAM part.  Plus it allows me to do everything with 3.3V.

For XPS, what helped was to create a custom board definition file "xbd file" for my proto board and specify SDR SDRAM in that.  Then when I use Base System Builder I select my custom xbd file and XPS happily comes up with a SDRAM core, and generates a design using the pinout specified in my xbd file.  There are some example xbd files around on the web.  The xbd file made it easier to create a design with SDR SDRAM.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/mpmc.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Did you ever get your SDRAM to work?

We're in exactly the same situation now.

0 Kudos