UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor lfschmid
Visitor

Export .mhs from Project Navigator to SDK

Jump to solution

As part of my research project at university I need to debug my code running on an ARM. We use a digilent Nexys 3 development board with a Xilinx Spartan 6 which has an ARM Cortex M0 included. My problem: A former student has concepted and realized the hardware for the FPGA in Xilinx's ISE Project Navigator and I have only limited knowledge about its functions. With it I can easily generate a bitstream and load it via digilent's Adept tool onto the FPGA.

Now, in order to be able to debug the system with Xilinx's SDK I need somehow to export the hardware configuration in form of a .mhs or .xmp file from the Project Navigator. Unfortunately, I can't find such a file in the project structure of the Project Navigator. Basically all files are Verilog files (including the top level file) which are included in each other. Even the ARM core is described with Verilog as a collection of signal relations. Therefore, the export option as mentioned for example here aren't available for any of these files.

Now to my question:

• Is there an easier way to debug my code running on the ARM considering my setup of dev board/FPGA/ARM core? (using ARM's tool chain or other tools by Xilinx)
  • If not, how can I actually export the hardware configuration out of this as it seems rather strange project (compared to examples I have seen so far)?

Obviously, my goal is to avoid setting up a new toolchain and be able to use as much as possible of the existing setup. I don't know if this is realistic ;)

Any advice is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Re: Export .mhs from Project Navigator to SDK

Jump to solution
No you won't be able to use SDK. Even if you did, the compiler doesn't support the ARM you are using. So you would have to add the compiler to the SDK if you wanted to compile the app.
In terms of debugging. I'm not sure if the XMD or xsdb debuggers will work with this processor. So you may be best just using the arm debugger
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution
SDK requires an XML file. Not the MHS or XMP. Does your ISE project have an XMP file added?
If so, the you should have the option in ISE to export to SDK. Or you can double click on the XMP file which will launch XPS and export to SDK from here.

I guess the question is, how is the embedded system added to your project? If it is added as HDL, or netlist, then you won't be able to export to SDK.

How did your colleague generate the executable for the ARM? Or did he use the compiler/linker manually to create an elf?
Or simple just populate the instruction BRAM with the ARM code?
0 Kudos
Visitor lfschmid
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick answer!

There is no xmp file in the ISE project - only the HDL/netlist files so after your answer I guess there is no way to export this to SDK - too bad. Attached you can find an overview of the project structure, I blured all unnecessary verilog/HDL components.

Concerning the ARM executable: I use ARM Keil where I can chose the right setting for my Cortex M0 from presets. The integration with the remaining HDL modules is done over communication on the AMBA bus and address mapping. So the ARM tool itself is not aware of the FPGA environment. I guess my only option is then to try to debug directly with the ARM tool, right?

project structure.png
0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution
No you won't be able to use SDK. Even if you did, the compiler doesn't support the ARM you are using. So you would have to add the compiler to the SDK if you wanted to compile the app.
In terms of debugging. I'm not sure if the XMD or xsdb debuggers will work with this processor. So you may be best just using the arm debugger
0 Kudos
Visitor lfschmid
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thank you, so I will investigate in that direction.
0 Kudos