cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

False error in map, with BUFR in MMCM feedback path

I am using a MMCME2_ADV in a zynq 7020 device, with CLKFBOUT looped back into CLKFBIN through a BUFR, Compensation is set to ZHOLD. I am doing my builds through EDK/XPS. In map, I get the following error:

ERROR:PhysDesignRules:2257 - Unsupported MMCME2_ADV connectivity. The signal
ircamera_deserializer/ircamera_deserializer/calibration/mmcm_fbin on the CLKFBIN pin of MMCME2_ADV comp
ircamera_deserializer/ircamera_deserializer/calibration/clock_generator with COMPENSATION mode ZHOLD must be driven by the CLKFBOUT pin on the same MMCME2_ADV through a BUFG, BUFH or BUFR.

It seems to me like the situation map is complaining about does not occur in reality. What am I doing wrong? How do I remove the error?

Thanks,

Lucian

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: False error in map, with BUFR in MMCM feedback path

Hello Lucian,

Which tool (ISE or Vivado) and version are you using?
It seems like tool is not propagating the COMPENSATION attribute as ZHOLD even though it was specifically set to ZHOLD.

If you are using Vivado, can you write an xdc constraint and force the COMPENSATION to ZHOLD.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

There is one limitation.
MMCM and BUFR should be in same clock region.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Vinay,

I am using ISE 14.7. Upgrading to Vivado is not an option for me at this time unfortunately.

Is there a way to force the compensation in UCF for ISE? Could you give an example?

Thanks,

Lucian

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Just clarifying, after @yashp commented, that I already have constraints in place to keep all logic within a single clock region.

Thanks,

Lucian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @lucian.petrica 

Follow these steps:

1. Open Synthesized in PlanAhead. See snapshot below: (by double clicking on Floorplanning PlanAhead)

floorplann.PNG

2. Once the design is invoked in PlanAhead, select the MMCM and change its properties (compensation property) using properties window: See below snapshot:

chang_properties.PNG

Then click on Save button (top-left corner) and close the planAhead.

Next run implementation in ISE.

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Vinay,

I did open my synthesized design in planahead and checked the MMCM attributes, but the compensation is already set to ZHOLD (see attached image). I also tried adding the following line in my UCF:

INST "ircamera_deserializer/ircamera_deserializer/calibration/clock_generator" COMPENSATION = ZHOLD;

So it seems like the compensation attribute is being correctly set, but somehow the design still fails DRC.

I've added a schematic of the design in the hope of giving you some more ideas :) The clocking scheme is as follows:

LVDS clocks -> IBUFGDS -> ISERDESE2 (D to O) -> MMCM_ADV -> BUFR (clkfbout to clkfbin)

From the CLKOUT0 pin of the MMCM i drive a BUFR and BUFIO for a deserialization application. 

Thanks,

Lucian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

Did you try setting this COMPENSATION attribute in HDL file?

Thanks,
Vinay
0 Kudos