UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer torinford
Observer

GDB Debug Problem

Some time ago, we switched from the Spartan 3A dev board to our own custom board. At around the same time, we also upgraded from EDK 9.2 to EDK 10.1. Since making one of those two switches (not sure which one) we have not been able to download/debug via GDB. We can build our application in EDK just fine. Then start XMD just fine. We can download and run the application via XMD without any problems. But if I try to download it via GDB, I get the following in XMD:

Connected to "mb" target. id = 0
Starting GDB server for "mb" target (id = 0) at TCP port no 1234
XMD% Info:
Accepted a new GDB connection from 127.0.0.1 on port 1147
Error: No Data on the Socket

Error: No Data on the Socket

That last line (Error: No Data on the Socket) is repeated in a loop until I kill the GDB process. Has anyone seen this before? We're wondering if we forgot to add something or set something in the hardware project when moving to our custom board, or if maybe the upgraded cores in 10.1 have something different from 9.2?

Thanks,

Torin
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: GDB Debug Problem

As long as you use XMD and gdb both from the same EDK release, you should not have any problems. Could you try deleting $HOME/.gdbtkinit and then try again? 

0 Kudos
Observer torinford
Observer

Re: GDB Debug Problem

Right after I posted this question I tested this very thing out. Right after we made the switch to EDK 10.1, we discovered that we were getting corrupted executables. So an FAE told us to copy the 9.2 gnu folder in to the 10.1 location. Thus we would use everything from 10.1 except for the gnu compilers. Unfortunately, this also meant we were using the 9.2 gdb. So I copied the 10.1 gdb over that 9.2 gdb and all is well. I should have thought more about this many months ago when I first came across the problem. Thx.
0 Kudos