UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer vivekr
Observer

Keyboard Controller

Hi,

I am a newbie to FPGA development I have been working on verilog and was succesfull in working with some of the peripherals present on the board.My requirement now is to work with the PS/2 Keyboard present on the board(Spartan-3A Starter kit) using the BSB.

So can anyone help me in writing a c code for this or if any links to tutorials which will guide me do this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Vivek

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Visitor sachingorkhe
Visitor

Re: Keyboard Controller

Hey Vivek,

If you want to use on-board ps/2 connector to use a keyboard then in EDK you have to import xps_ps2 interface IP into system assembly.

You need to just drag it from IP catalog to system assembly and then in Ports u have to connect clock and data pin to external.

Then run all synthesis and your FPGA on-board is ready to use PS/2 connector to connect keyboard.

R'

Sachin 

0 Kudos
Observer vivekr
Observer

Hey sachin thanks for your reply. I am new to this so can you elaborate on how to import xps_ps2 interface IP into system assembly.

Regards 

vivek

0 Kudos
Observer vivekr
Observer

Hi Sachin,

As said by you i have followed the steps, but there is no such interface called xps_ps2 interface in the IP Catalog. Just to inform you i am working on Spartan 3A Starter kit and the ISE or EDK version i am using is 9.2i.

Regards 

Vivek

0 Kudos
Visitor sachingorkhe
Visitor

Hey Vivek,

It is as simple as you do any task using a GUI interface.

Just follow these steps -

1) In Project Information Area click on IP Catalog

2) Expand Communication Low-Speed and then click on XPS PS2 Interface 1.00 a

3) Right Click on it and then Add IP

4) It will automatically get added to your system assembly

5) Click on Bus Interfaces and then XPS_PS2 and connect it to the PLB bus.

6) Then click on Ports tab and connect clock and data pins as external. Check whether it has been added to external ports or not.

7) Then click on Addresses tab and generate the address for this by clicking generate address button.

Then save project from File menu. And then go to hardware menu and generate bitstream for your bit file.

Hope this helps.

R'

Sachin 

0 Kudos
Observer vivekr
Observer

Hi Sachin

Thanks for your reply. In my IP Catalog under Communication Low-Speed i dont have XPS PS2 interface 1.00 a. 

Regards 

Vivek

0 Kudos
Visitor sachingorkhe
Visitor

Which ver. you are using for XPS?
0 Kudos
Observer vivekr
Observer

The version of XPS i am using is 9.2 i and its an evaluation version will this make a difference, what version of XPS you are using

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

XPS PS2 was released since 10.1.
0 Kudos

The 3A dev board readme first document says use webpack 9.2 sp3 / edk 9.2.

Will the 3A devboard work with version 10.1 (trust me not a stupid question when you’ve been faced with the compatibility issues on the 3E devboard)

Cheers Bobster
0 Kudos
Visitor sachingorkhe
Visitor

Vivek,

XPS PS2 is included in 10.1, I have not knowledge about 9.2 version just try to update your software with latest service pack for 9.2. If you are using webpack then you can download 10.1 webpack from xilinx site and can use the same for your board.

Sachin 

0 Kudos
Observer vivekr
Observer

Sachin,

I will work on XPS 10.1

Vivek

0 Kudos