Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Momo98
Visitor
Visitor

Linux application with vitis

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

im kinda new to fpgas and have been playing around with the microzed 7010 for the past 2 weeks, i created programs which were standalone and they worked just fine.

Now i tried to lunch the same programs but not on standalone but from linux.

I already have a linux on the board which was made through petalinux.

I achieved running hello world program on the linux system on the board, my problem is that now i wrote other programs using vitis, programs like blinking led on the psgpios. and im not able to get through vitis to generate the .elf file which i need to put on the sd card.

whenever i compile, 1) vitis cant detect the header files.

2) I heard from some friends that i need a driver to communicate with the ps and pl when using linux, how is that achieved ?

thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Momo98 ,

Programming standalone/baremetal applications and Linux applications are really different worlds. In the first one you have access to all the physical memory addresses and Xilinx provides baremetal drivers and libraries so you can use the different peripherals. In Linux the userspace does not have access to physical memory addresses and access to the hardware is performed through the interfaces provided by Linux drivers.

Xilinx offers multiple Linux drivers that are documented in the wiki page:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841873/Linux+Drivers

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @Momo98 ,

Programming standalone/baremetal applications and Linux applications are really different worlds. In the first one you have access to all the physical memory addresses and Xilinx provides baremetal drivers and libraries so you can use the different peripherals. In Linux the userspace does not have access to physical memory addresses and access to the hardware is performed through the interfaces provided by Linux drivers.

Xilinx offers multiple Linux drivers that are documented in the wiki page:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841873/Linux+Drivers

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos