UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer apacker
Observer

Migrating from HDF to DSA

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've been working on a project for the MicroZed 7020 board using Vivado&PetaLinux 2017.4 for a few months, and am trying to migrate it to 2018.1 now.  Up until now I have been creating an HDF file in Vivado that I feed into my PetaLinux project.  With 2018.1 I get the warning that HDF is deprecated and I should use DSA instead, so I'm trying to do that.  However, I can't seem to get my bitstream included in the DSA, so my PetaLinux build is failing.

After I've built my project in Vivado, to the point where I can do "Export Hardware" to get an HDF file that includes my bitstream, I do "write_dsa -verbose -force -include_bit ../sdk/dtz.dsa", and I get this output:

INFO: [Vivado 12-4895] Creating DSA: ../sdk/dtz.dsa ...
INFO: [Vivado 12-5881] Successfully generated hpfm file
INFO: [Vivado-projutils-8] Tcl script 'rebuild.tcl' generated in output directory 'E:/SVNTrunkClean/BioSonics/Src/Zynq/Vivado/dtz/.Xil/Vivado-1380-BSEWKS04/dsa/prj'

INFO: [Vivado-projutils-17] Please note that the -paths_relative_to switch was specified, hence the project source files will be referenced wrt the
path that was specified with this switch. The 'origin_dir' variable is set to '.' in the generated script.

WARNING: [Vivado-projutils-10] Found source(s) that were local or imported into the project. If this project is being source controlled, then
please ensure that the project source(s) are also part of this source controlled data. The list of these local source(s) can be found in the generated script
under the header section.

write_project_tcl: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:14 ; elapsed = 00:00:22 . Memory (MB): peak = 1834.934 ; gain = 5.531
INFO: [Vivado 12-4896] Successfully created DSA: e:/SVNTrunkClean/BioSonics/Src/Zynq/Vivado/sdk/dtz.dsa
write_dsa: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:21 ; elapsed = 00:00:32 . Memory (MB): peak = 1851.219 ; gain = 79.914
e:/SVNTrunkClean/BioSonics/Src/Zynq/Vivado/sdk/dtz.dsa

The dsa file is created, but does not seem to include the bitstream anywhere.  If I use the dsa in my PetaLinux project, it fails to create a bootable image because it can't find the bitstream.

Thanks,

Asa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer apacker
Observer

Re: Migrating from HDF to DSA

Jump to solution

Well, I was overthinking this and there's an easy fix.  When going the hdf route, I used to just save my hdf file and refer to that in petalinux-config --get-hw-description.  My bitstream file magically ended up in my PetaLinux project's images/linux folder so I could refer to it in petalinux-boot --fpga.

When going the dsa route, I just need to save both my dsa and my bitstream file separately and then refer to both of them in my PetaLinux scripts.  The dsa file is needed by petalinux-config --get-hw-platform, and I just refer to my separately saved bitstream in petalinux-boot --fpga.  I am no longer using the -include_bit option to write_dsa - it doesn't seem to work for me anyway.

Hope this helps someone else!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Observer apacker
Observer

Jump to solution

By the way, the "write_dsa" command is not in UG835, nor in the autocomplete feature in the TCL console.  Is it OK to call this command directly?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Hi @apacker,

Write_dsa command is documented in the UG835.
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug835-vivado-tcl-commands.pdf#page=1736

Regards
Ibai

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Observer apacker
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @ibaie,

Thanks, that's helpful.  It looks like it was left out of the 2018.1 version of UG835.  The version I get in DocNav, dated April 4, 2018, skips from write_debug_probes on pages 1780-1781 to write_dsa_rom on page 1782.

Asa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer apacker
Observer

Jump to solution

Well, I was overthinking this and there's an easy fix.  When going the hdf route, I used to just save my hdf file and refer to that in petalinux-config --get-hw-description.  My bitstream file magically ended up in my PetaLinux project's images/linux folder so I could refer to it in petalinux-boot --fpga.

When going the dsa route, I just need to save both my dsa and my bitstream file separately and then refer to both of them in my PetaLinux scripts.  The dsa file is needed by petalinux-config --get-hw-platform, and I just refer to my separately saved bitstream in petalinux-boot --fpga.  I am no longer using the -include_bit option to write_dsa - it doesn't seem to work for me anyway.

Hope this helps someone else!

0 Kudos