UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jakobrjones
Visitor

Newbie question

Jump to solution

Okay folks. I appologize for such as basic question. I am an experienced Altera user with a ton of time on NIOS but the MicroBlaze is all new to me.

Anyway, I've got this little system running on my Spartan-3E starter kit. Basically at my top level I've got a counter that's being displayed on the LEDs on the board and I've got my little XPS generated system that contains the MicroBlaze and some BRAM that I'm running out of for now. The system also has a debug module, reset generator, DCM, etc.

So I'm able to compile my project and download it to the board no problem. The LEDs are working and I can see the counter counting.

Now over on the SDK side, I've written this real basic Hello World program using a printf statement . Nothing special. And I can even run it on the hardware, it says the code downloads and all that. However, I believe the software is getting stuck in an infinite loop inside printf because the transmit buffer on the UART is full (I'm trying to use the debug module for stdin and stdout).

Is there something special I need to do to connect to the debug module via the XDM console so that I can see the stdout and so that the uart's buffer can be cleared? I assumed this would occur automatically when I ran the program from the SDK.

Thank you for your help,

Jake

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Newbie question

Jump to solution
You'd need to type 'terminal' inside the XMD window to open up a jtag uart terminal. Unfortunately, SDK doesn't do it automatically for you. Personally, I prefer using the xps_uartlite core to connect to a real UART, rather than faking it via the jtag_uart.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
You'd need to type 'terminal' inside the XMD window to open up a jtag uart terminal. Unfortunately, SDK doesn't do it automatically for you. Personally, I prefer using the xps_uartlite core to connect to a real UART, rather than faking it via the jtag_uart.
0 Kudos
Visitor jakobrjones
Visitor

Jump to solution

Excellent. That did it for me. Can you point me to where all of this is documented? I have spent days pouring over documentation trying to educate myself on the Xilinx tools and have come up extremely lacking. I have to assume I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Jake

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I'd suggest going through the Concepts, Tools & Techniques guide (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/edk_ctt.pdf) first to get a general overview. For SDK, the online help would be the best bet.

0 Kudos
Visitor amelia2006
Visitor

Jump to solution

Could you elaborate what you mean by online help? do you mean by googl-ing?

sorry for such a naive question. I too hope to get direction with XPS.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Visitor oceanean
Visitor

Jump to solution

hi.I have a new problem to ask u.when I use debug ILA IP core to do some debug,when I finished [open target] operation,then I can't find the ILA core in the Hardware.So do u know why is that happened?Thanks

0 Kudos