Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhijithcd
Participant
Participant

No output on Serial Terminal

Hello everyone,

I am trying to follow the UART tutorial for VC707 by Lance Simms in the following link: http://www.lancesimms.com/Xilinx/VC707_Microblaze_UART_to_LED_Example_Part1.html

After the completion of the tutorial, I am not getting the initial output which is supposed to be displayed on the serial terminal. I tried running "Hello world" application on top of the same hardware. Even then the serial terminal output is not seen. So I suppose there might be some problem with the hardware being generated through Vivado Block Design.

I have tried with baud rates of 115200 and 9600. I am not able to debug the source of the issue. I kindly request you to help me in this regard and I would be extremely glad for it.

Thank you for your time :)

Regards,

Abhi 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

can you share the screenshot of terminal?

In SDK there is another terminal called SDK terminal. You can use this terminal for out.  Before running the program make sure you added "\n" in your printf statement.

0 Kudos
abhijithcd
Participant
Participant

Hello @pvempati,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

The terminal is just blank.

There is a "\n" character in the code as you can see from the attached main.c file from the tutorial.

0 Kudos
florentw

Hi @abhijithcd,

Try the following steps, it sometimes helps:

-> program the FPGA

-> open/configure the terminal only when the FPGA is programmed

-> run the application

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
abhijithcd
Participant
Participant

I tried this method. Still not working.
0 Kudos
abhijithcd
Participant
Participant

The hello world application worked when I removed the DDR3 SDRAM instance and replaced it with BRAM. 

Any inputs/suggestions as to why this happened would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
sadanan
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

It looks like DDR has some problem. You may want to run memory test application to see if it can detect any problems. Alternatively, you can use XSDB to download the elf and then verify it. Also, try to de-select the 'system reset' option in your SDK debug configuration. MIG DDR controller needs some calibration delay after reset, so if there is not sufficient delay after reset and before you try to run the app, it may not work properly

0 Kudos
premsagar

Hi All,

I am new to this software. Can you please tell me where to open the terminal. I am trying to change the Si570 clock frequency from 156.25MHz to 600MHz. I followed this document (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ac701/2015_1/xtp230-ac701-si570-prog-c-2015-1.pdf) which says, check your terminal. I am not sure where to fins the terminal. Thanks!
0 Kudos
florentw

HI @premsagar

Our Community Help has a tip that might help you : Tip: If the message is older than 6-12 months, please post a new message rather than adding to the existing thread. Your inquiry will have a better chance of being picked up by an expert if it is a new topic.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/posting#posting

I would suggest you create a new topic on the appropriate board

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos