cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Petalinux: gdb does not support Python scripting

Hello,

when I try to remote debug an application on the Zynq developed using Qt Creator I get the error:

"The selected build of GDB does not support Python scripting. It cannot be used in Qt Creator."

The selected gdb is the one from Petalinux 2015.4 (arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi-gdb), and I'm using Qt 5.6.0 together with Qt Creator 4.0.0.

How can I get remote debugging work using Petalinux and At Creator? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Petalinux: gdb does not support Python scripting

check this ARs
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59172.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks. I've already checked that AR, but the information contained therein is more than 2 years old. It only covers Qt Creator 3.0 (actual version is 4.0). It is since 3.1 that Qt Creator only supports versions of gdb that support Python scripting.

Does Xilinx offer a Python scripting-enabled version of gdb for the Zynq?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

check this link
http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-debugger-engines.html
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Yes, that is exactly the document that states that non Python-scripting-enabled gdb versions are not supported by Qt Creator.

Unfortunately, your post doesn't answer my question.

Does that mean that I have to build a Python-enabled version of gdb myself using the Petalinux cross compiler and using my build as a replacement for the Petalinux-gdb? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

This is really annoying if you want to cross-debug using Qt Creator.

On Debian (and probably also Ubuntu) you can install a package called gdb-arm-none-eabi. It provides /usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb which is compiled with Python support and should work with Qt Creator.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Btw, you can check the options GDB has been compiled with by starting it on the command line and type "show configuration" on the (gdb) prompt. My Debian version shows "--with-python=/usr" which is missing for the GDB provided by Xilinx.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

@jensrenner wrote:

On Debian (and probably also Ubuntu) you can install a package called gdb-arm-none-eabi. It provides /usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-gdb which is compiled with Python support and should work with Qt Creator.

I should correct my previous answer. Obviously "none-eabi" is not suitable for debugging a Linux application. It seemed to work at first sight, it failed when I tried to step debug, though.

I downloaded the Linaro toolchain: http://snapshots.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/

Just choose a version and the right target "arm-linux-gnueabi" and you can download pre-built binaries for your host system. Now debugging in Qt Creator works without flaws.

0 Kudos