Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deppenkaiser
Contributor
Contributor

SDK using external Tools

Hello,

i must use an external tool which compiles a source file. the compile job produce a generic c-code file. In Visual-Studio i do not have any Problems to do this, but in SDK (Eclipse) it does not work. If i read the online Manual, then i do not find the menu items in the sdk which are decribed in the manual.

So my question is: How do i configure the sdk that i can use an other build tool for my Project. What steps must i do?

Thank you...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
arpansur

Hi @deppenkaiser,

As per your response:

" If i read the online Manual, then i do not find the menu items in the sdk which are decribed in the manual"

Can you please point me to the tool version and the online document you are referring to?

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
deppenkaiser
Contributor
Contributor

I'am using 2017.2 SDK.

I look here:

SDK: Help->Help Contents->Search "External Tools"-> ... many results ...

For example:

Running external tools

The Workbench provides a mechanism for running tools that are not part of it. To configure an external tool:

1. Click command link Run > External Tools > External Tools....
  2. Select the Program configuration
  3. Click the New button.
  4. Enter a name for your external tool (for example, My External Tool).
  5. Click the Browse File System button.
  6. Find the tool you want to run (for example, on Windows it is usually a file with the extension .exe or .bat).
  7. (Optional) In the Arguments field enter the necessary arguments for the tool.
  8. (Optional)In the Working directory field enter the working directory for the tool.
  9. Click Run.

These steps create a persisted launch configuration. The newly created configuration will appear in the launch history under Run > External Tools and will be available in the launch configuration dialog which is opened by clicking command link Run > External Tools > External Tools....

It is also possible to set up and run an external tool to build a project.

1. Select the desired project.
  2. From its pop-up menu choose Properties.
  3. Click Builders from the list, and configure the tool as described above.

Related concepts
External Tools

Related tasks
Running Ant buildfiles

Unknown Menu item:  Run > External Tools > External Tools....

0 Kudos
deppenkaiser
Contributor
Contributor

I do not understand the realation between "BSP" and my Problem. I like to compile source code. The result is an other source code (generic code). Normaly i can configure a "custom build step", but it does not really work. In Visual Studio are custom build steps no Problem; the IDE supports this.

This means: You may told me the solution, but i do not understand how i can do it.

:-)

0 Kudos
ibaie
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @deppenkaiser

I do not have clear if you are trying to use an external toolchain to compile the whole application or it's just the usage of an external tool before/after the normal compilation process.

If you are trying to use a thrid party toolchain, you need to configure it in the Xilinx SDK preferences in the Toolchain Preferences menu. Just add the path, prefix and compile flags you want to use in the BSP toolchian.

Third Party1

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
genelatham
Visitor
Visitor

So, I think I have this same problem.  I am trying to set up and external tool.  There is supposed to be an "External Tools" choice in the Run menu, but its not there.  There is supposed to be a related tool bar button in the Run tool bar, its also missing.  Both of these items appear in my regular Eclipse (non-SDK version).  I can launch the external tools dialog by assigning it a short cut key, but this is not satisfactory since running the individual short cuts then takes several more operations.

So... What happened to the External Tools menu in the SDK?  Is there any way to turn it back on?

Gene

0 Kudos
skoehler
Observer
Observer

Same problem here! The external tools function of Eclipse is completely broken in the XSDK. I'm using Linux.

I do not see the icon in the toolbar. If I open the external tools configuration manually, I cannot create new configurations.

I wrote a Makefile just to realize that the XSDK is broken in that regard, and that I cannot launch my Makefile as I normally would.

0 Kudos
bgrupczy

Same here as well. SDK 2017.4

Possibly fixed in later versions?

bgrupczy

And the problem is also ins SDK 2018.3.

0 Kudos