UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

SP605 EDK System Simulation - DDR3 memory initialization problem

I am testing SP605 board EDK System Simulation using Modelsim.
The board is using Micron MT41J64M16LA-187E DDR3 SDRAM.
I tried to find similar project from the Xilinx web-site. XAPP1003 and XAPP1111 have the EDK System Simulation examples. But as you know they are quite old versions and it was not proper for the SP605 board.
I could not find the proper DRAM simulation model for MT41J64M16LA-187E DDR3 SDRAM from Micron web-site therefore I generated the model using MIG Coregen tool and copied to my System Simulation Folder.
From my test bench, I tried DRAM memory initialization but it happened memory copy size error like below two questions. I tried MAX_MEM mode and Non-MAX_MEM mode both and finally I have manually changed MEM_SIZE and I passed the memory copy steps.

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/MIG-Memory-Interface-Generator/DDR3-simulation-using-quot-MAX-MEM-quot-mode-fails/td-p/198568
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/MIG-Memory-Interface-Generator/MIG-DDR3-using-MAX-MEM-module-error-simulation-cannot-run/m-p/207077/highlight/false#M2240

I tried the memory copy like XAPP1003 like below code. The SP605 board only has one DDR memory and I modified it.
But on my simulation I couldn't get the proper DRAM read value and the read data value was All "XXXX".

I have tried DDR1 SDRAM using same code and same board configuration and only have changed MPMC options and Simultion model for DDR1 memory. But the simulation was successful. I could execute my SDK software code on my Modelsim simulation.
I think my current problem is DDR3-SDRAM initialization problem and the simulation model structure of DDR3 was a bit different from DDR1.

Does anyone have experiences of DDR3-SDRAM initialization for EDK System Simulation on Modelsim?
I have spent lots of time and now I am very frustrated.
Any advices and tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew

0 Kudos