cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsdean
Visitor
Visitor

SPI Flash Bootloader for SREC (ISE 12.2)

I have searched all over for a bootloader that will bootload from a SPI flash that works on .srec files.  None of the app notes really do this, the one I found (973) the instructions for making the bootloader don't work (at least not in ISE 12)

Is my only option to actually merge code from a SPI binary bootloader and a parrallel flash srec bootloader, or am I missing something simple. 

This seems like something that should be plug and play, but for some reason it appears to be an "unsupported" option.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
erick.tejada
Visitor
Visitor

Hey,

Did you ever get to solve this (or anyone)?

I'm using ISE 13.1 and I want to create a bootleader that will pull the application from SPI Flash, copy it to DDR3 RAM and jump to it. Is the SREC format only for parallel flash or can it also be used for Serial SPI Flash? This is what I do:

I create my SREC file by running (given my already prepared program named "program.elf"):

mb-objcopy -O srec program.elf program.srec

Then I create the download.bit file that contains the FPGA bitstream and the bootloader (using the program button in SDK which runs data2mem to update the bitstream file with the bootloader data to be written at internal BRAM).

Then I use iMPACT to create an MCS file that has the download.bit file and the progra.srec file at an offset location down the SPI Flash (at which the bootloader points to).

Still, the bootloader doesn't work. The error message I get is: "Error while reading an SREC line from flash" (again, I using the bootloader program that is included in SDK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erick

0 Kudos
cch1
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The Avnet Spartan-6 MicroBoard support files contain a tutorial on how to do what you are asking.

www.em.avnet.com/s6microboard

Select Support Files and Downloads.

The tutorial can be used for other boards, taking into consideration the size of the bit file in SPI.

0 Kudos