UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer oabdo
Observer

Separate clock for custom IP

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to make a design, where some components of my custom IP run on a clock with a higher frequency than plb_bus which connects the IP to to the processor. 

Any suggestions?

cheers, 

Omar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Separate clock for custom IP

Jump to solution

Hi Omar,

Another option is to generate another clock output with the clock generator and connect that clock into your custom peripheral.

-XF

3 Replies
Scholar golson
Scholar

Jump to solution

You can instantiate a PLL or DCM into your IPIF module.  Or if the clock is coming from a oscillator I am pretty sure you can just add

a Input into the IPIF and instantiate a clock buffer in the IPIF.

Message Edited by golson on 05-24-2009 03:18 AM
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Omar,

Another option is to generate another clock output with the clock generator and connect that clock into your custom peripheral.

-XF

Observer oabdo
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I tried out the suggestion. I generated a new clock output with 250Mhz and inputed it into my custom IP. My DCM clock input is set to 100Mhz and the bus clock outputed from the DCM module is also set to 100Mhz, but i got a timing error when generating a bit file. 

When i changed the DCM input clock to 250Mhz, I didn't get the timing error but something seems to be wrong with the UART ip in my design: A simple "print" function isn't outputed in the hyperterminal.  

'Thanks in Advance,

Omar

0 Kudos