UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bnahill
Visitor

Vivado 2016.1 SDK launch problem

Jump to solution

[initially entered this in the wrong forum]

Hello,

I installed Vivado 2016.1 yesterday in Ubuntu 15.10 and, after upgrading my 2015.4 project and implementing it, I

found I couldn't launch the SDK...

When I try to launch from Vivado:

INFO: [Vivado 12-393] Launching SDK...
INFO: [Vivado 12-417] Running xsdk -workspace /home/b/delete_this_location -hwspec /home/b/delete_this_location/design_2_wrapper.hdf

INFO: [Vivado 12-3157] SDK launch initiated. Please check console for any further messages.

Followed by nothing happening. A logical next step was to try to launch from terminal (after sourcing settings64.sh) to see if any new information came out:

$ xsdk -workspace /home/b/delete_this_location -hwspec /home/b/delete_this_location/design_2_wrapper.hdf

****** Xilinx Software Development Kit
****** SDK v2016.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 1538259 on Fri Apr  8 15:45:23 MDT 2016
    ** Copyright 1986-2016 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Launching SDK with command /home/b/XilinxTools/SDK/2016.1/eclipse/lnx64.o/eclipse -data /home/b/delete_this_location -vmargs -Dcom.xilinx.sdk.args.hwspec=/home/b/delete_this_location/design_2_wrapper.hdf -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

followed again by nothing happening. Executing the command directly:

$ /home/b/XilinxTools/SDK/2016.1/eclipse/lnx64.o/eclipse -data /home/b/delete_this_location -vmargs -Dcom.xilinx.sdk.args.hwspec=/home/b/delete_this_location/design_2_wrapper.hdf -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.

It worked! SDK came up with the correct projects and such, but I can't do much without hitting exceptions or crashing. For example, if I try to create a new 'Xilinx Application Project', I get:

The selected wizard could not be started.
Plug-in "com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz" was unable to instantiate class "com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz.ApplicationWizard".
java.lang.NullPointerException

If I try to do anything with the existing projects in the workspace, eclipse freezes and I have to kill it to get out.

For reference, when SDK starts up, it starts with an error in the log:

09:45:24 ERROR	: Unsatisfied link error while loading librdi_repo_manager.so: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no rdi_repo_manager in java.library.path
09:45:24 INFO	: Launching XSDB server: xsdb -n -interactive /home/b/delete_this_location/temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl
09:45:24 ERROR	: (XSDB Server)couldn't read file "/scripts/xsdb/xsdb/xsdb-server.tcl": no such file or directory
    while executing
"source /scripts/xsdb/xsdb/xsdb-server.tcl"
    (file "/home/b/delete_this_location/temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl" line 1)

I'm not convinced it's necessarily a 2016.1-specific problem, but 2015.4 still works for me. Does anyone more knowledgeable in SDK and/or Eclipse have any tips?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vivado 2016.1 SDK launch problem

Jump to solution

Found the same problem with Ubuntu 16.04. From this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/761604/eclipse-not-working-in-16-04 I've added the line

export SWT_GTK3=0 

to /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.1/.settings64-Software_Development_Kit__SDK_.sh and seems  to work fine

21 Replies
Visitor bnahill
Visitor

Jump to solution

I never reached a real solution on this. The workaround in play now is running Vivado & SDK in an LXC container with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

0 Kudos
Newbie mattghidoni

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same problem and I cannot find a workaround..

I am working on an Ubuntu 15.10 and using the SDK 2016.1.

Does anyone have a solution?

0 Kudos
Visitor deffi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Running Vivado in an LXC container sounds like a good solution to me, given that Vivado is not compatible with more recent Ubuntu releases.

I successfully installed Vivado in an LXC container running Ubuntu 14.04, but I have trouble with the cable drivers. I can get lsusb to run inside the container (according to this), but the cable settings and firmware loading seem to rely on udev, which is not available inside the container.

Any hints on how to install the cable drivers in an LXC container?

0 Kudos
Observer wh1t3w0lf
Observer

Jump to solution

I am also unable to use the 2016.1 SDK in my Kubuntu 15.10. Vivado itself seems to run fine.

If I run the SDK from the commandline (regardless if I first source settings64.sh) it does nothing:

$ xsdk

****** Xilinx Software Development Kit
****** SDK v2016.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 1538259 on Fri Apr  8 15:45:23 MDT 2016
    ** Copyright 1986-2016 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Launching SDK with command /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.1/eclipse/lnx64.o/eclipse -vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

$ 

If I run the Eclipse executable directly (after I source settings64.sh with or without the java arguments) it segfaults which is probably the reason why running directly the xsdk command does nothing.

If I run the Eclipse executable without first sourcing settings64.sh then the SDK finally launches but it keeps giving me exceptions like the one described above (if I try to create a new application) or the following when it starts or I try to exit:

An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
Could not initialize class com.xilinx.sdk.sw.SwDbUtils$SwReposManHolder

The same behavior happens if I launch the SDK from within Vivado:

If I first source settings64.sh then it doesn't start at all.

if I don't source settigs64.sh it launches but it is unusable due to the constant exception throwing.

With more experiments I found out that having the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to the Vivado directory where all libraries reside (e.g opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/lib/lnx64.o/) causes the segfaults. If I don't set this env variable the SDK launches with the above symptoms. This variable is being set by sourcing setting64.sh and / or xsdk wrapper script (possibly loader wrapper script in the same directory called by xsdk) and thus it explains all the above behavior.

So what I believe is that one of the libraries in the above directory is incompatible and crashes eclipse when the latter tries to use it by running one of the myriad commandline tools it loads and at the same time we can't use the SDK without these libraries used by the tools. Thus I personally decided to fallback to 2015.4 since it seems impossible to debug all these libraries and find out which one is problematic.

0 Kudos
Visitor deffi
Visitor

Jump to solution

Answering my own question on hardware drivers: it seems like Xilinx documentation on the topic is sparse (or outdated, or hard to find), so here's what worked for me. Vivado 2016.1, Ubuntu 14.04 running in an LXC 2.0.0 system container on an Ubuntu 16.04 host.

(1) Hardware driver installation

This applies to a native system, i. e. one not running in a container.

For Vivado/SDK (more precisely hw_server) to access the programmer hardware, two things are necessary: (a) set the USB device permissions, and (b) download the firmware to the programmer. Typically, both are done by udev whenever the programmer is connected.

The udev rules for (a) are installed by the Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers/install_drivers script (which must be run as root or with sudo), which basically copies the two .rules files from the same directory to /etc/udev/rules.d. You may have to call

udevadm control --reload-rules

as root for the new rules to be effective without reboot.

For (b), the firmware for different programmers is found in Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/*.hex. A udev rules file akin to the following is floating around the interwebs (typically called /etc/udev/rules.d/xusbdfwu.rules):

# version 0003
ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0008", MODE="666"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0007", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -v -t fx2 -I /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/xusbdfwu.hex -D $tempnode"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0009", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -v -t fx2 -I /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/xusb_xup.hex -D $tempnode"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="000d", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -v -t fx2 -I /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/xusb_emb.hex -D $tempnode"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="000f", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -v -t fx2 -I /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/xusb_xlp.hex -D $tempnode"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0013", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -v -t fx2 -I /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/xusb_xp2.hex -D $tempnode"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03fd", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0015", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -v -t fx2 -I /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.1/data/xicom/xusb_xse.hex -D $tempnode"

However, it turns out that (at least for the Xilinx Platform Cable USB II, USB ID 03fd:0013, firware xusb_xp2.hex) -t fx2 has to be replaced with -t fx2lp (see this thread). I'm not sure about other programmers. The USB ID of any connected device can be found with the lsusb command. An ID of 03fd:0008 seems to indicate that the firmware has been downloaded, while the other IDs in the above rules file above indicate different programmers without the firmware downloaded.

So the procedure for driver installation seems to be: (a) call the install_drivers script, and (b) create the above rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d, adjusting the -t fx2lp part and the installation path where necessary. This should download the firmware whenever the programmer is connected, turning the LED on the programmer on. The fxload command can also be executed manually, which can be useful for testing.

Note that the firmware download part does not seem to be necessary for the ZedBoard. As far as I know, the ZedBoard uses an integrated Digilent programmer which does not require firmware download.

(2) LXC container

For USB devices to be available inside the container, add the following to the container configuration file:

lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 189:* rwm
lxc.mount.entry = /dev/bus/usb dev/bus/usb none bind,optional,create=dir

However, udev cannot be used inside the container. Therefore, I use udev on the host to set the permissions and download the firmware (by copying the udev rules files and firmware .hex files to the host). I can then access the programmer from within the container.

0 Kudos
Visitor simonwatson
Visitor

Jump to solution

I can confirm this problem also occurs when you try to run the SDK on Ubuntu 16.04.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Found the same problem with Ubuntu 16.04. From this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/761604/eclipse-not-working-in-16-04 I've added the line

export SWT_GTK3=0 

to /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.1/.settings64-Software_Development_Kit__SDK_.sh and seems  to work fine

Visitor lkui
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the infomation, it worked fine for me.

0 Kudos
Visitor bnahill
Visitor

Jump to solution

That fixed it for me too! Thanks!

Deffi:

I just ran hw_server locally, rather than dealing with getting USB devices mapped correctly to the container.

0 Kudos
Visitor bleinweber
Visitor

Jump to solution

export SWT_GTK3=0

Confirmed that this works in 2016.3 as well. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Visitor suseela
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did the following. (Ubuntu 16.04 and Vivado 16.2)

export SWT_GTK3=0 

Now i am able to launch SDK using terminal.

But launch_sdk is not working in tcl_console in vivado tool. Following message it is displaying

launch_sdk
INFO: [Vivado 12-393] Launching SDK...
INFO: [Vivado 12-417] Running xsdk
INFO: [Vivado 12-3157] SDK launch initiated. Please check console for any further messages.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Hi,I have the same problem with you( ubuntu16.04lts with vivado 16.3), and I solved it by add "
source /...the dir of your sdk.../SDK/2016.3/settings64.sh
" to the beginning of "xsdk" script. And it do works.You can have a try! Good luck!
PS: My English is not very good, sorry for that!
0 Kudos
Visitor fresh_ml
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi all. I have the same problem in redhat6.8 server with vivado 2016.2.I can launch SDK, but when creat a new application it occurs the same indicates. I use /bin/csh and add "setenv SWT_GTK3 0" in the /settings64.sh and source it,but it seems not to work for me, any other have met this??please give some methods,3Q.
0 Kudos
Visitor fresh_ml
Visitor

Jump to solution

I had add "set SWT_GTK3=0" or "setenv SWT_GTK3 0"to the "/tool/xilinx/SDK/2016.2/settings64.csh" and source it.

after export hardware with bitstream file and the launch SDK.

the below happens:

00:13:57 INFO : Launching XSDB server: xsdb -n -interactive /mnt/hgfs/tools/x_exe/pwm_core/pwm_core_test.sdk/temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl
00:14:01 INFO : XSDB server has started successfully.
00:14:01 INFO : Processing command line option -hwspec /mnt/hgfs/tools/x_exe/pwm_core/pwm_core_test.sdk/design_1_wrapper.hdf.
00:14:04 ERROR : Exception occured while setting Project Nature toHardware Project Nature
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Could not set the project description for 'design_1_wrapper_hw_platform_0' because the project description file (.project) is out of sync with the file system.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.setDescription(Project.java:1247)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.setDescription(Project.java:1281)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.setHWProjectNature(HwProjectCreator.java:262)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.assignHwProjectNature(HwProjectCreator.java:145)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.createHwProjectFromZip(HwProjectCreator.java:123)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.internalCreate(HwProjectUtil.java:189)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:138)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:125)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:100)
at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK.processHwSpecArgumentTask(InitSDK.java:436)
at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK.access$7(InitSDK.java:418)
at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK$12.run(InitSDK.java:369)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
00:14:04 ERROR : Error occurred while creating hardware platform design_1_wrapper_hw_platform_0 from sysdef
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not set the project description for 'design_1_wrapper_hw_platform_0' because the project description file (.project) is out of sync with the file system.
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.setHWProjectNature(HwProjectCreator.java:272)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.assignHwProjectNature(HwProjectCreator.java:145)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.createHwProjectFromZip(HwProjectCreator.java:123)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.internalCreate(HwProjectUtil.java:189)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:138)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:125)
at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:100)
at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK.processHwSpecArgumentTask(InitSDK.java:436)
at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK.access$7(InitSDK.java:418)
at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK$12.run(InitSDK.java:369)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
00:14:04 ERROR : Unable to create Hardware Specification Project with specification file: /mnt/hgfs/tools/x_exe/pwm_core/pwm_core_test.sdk/design_1_wrapper.hdf

and terminal with:

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details

How I can fix this? thanks.

0 Kudos
Visitor jonahtsai
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have Vivado 2016.4 and Ubuntu 16.4 LTS. I had the same problem of launching SDK from Vivado does nothing, as well as running xsdk doing nothing (actually, dmesg shows that it crashes in both cases). Then, running Eclipse from command line directly gets me file not found for xsdb-server.tcl.

I tried the export SWT_GTK3=0 change and it did not help at all.

Thundersnark's solution worked for me. THANKS Thundersnark!

That sounds like when Vivado executes xsdk, the env vars are not passed through to xsdk (hence we have to add that source line again).

0 Kudos
Visitor jonahtsai
Visitor

Jump to solution
Correction....

The export SWT_GTK3=0 is also needed together with the source of settings64.sh.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you want the XSDK to be launched from the shortcut as well, please modify  the entry

~/.local/share/applications/Xilinx\ SDK\ 2016.4<randomnumber>.desktop

Modified file in my case is

$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/Xilinx\ SDK\ 2016.4_1487461555225.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Xilinx SDK 2016.4
Comment=Xilinx SDK 2016.4
Icon=/export/space/xilinx/XSDK-2016-04/SDK/2016.4/data/sdk/images/sdk_logo.png
Exec=env SWT_GTK3=0 /export/space/xilinx/XSDK-2016-04/SDK/2016.4/bin/xsdk

Visitor age_sdu
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi guys - thanks for your help so far.

I did also did the following two thing:

source /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.3/settings64.sh in xsdk.sh and 

export SWT_GTK3=0 in .settings64-Software_Development_Kit__SDK_.sh

and now I'm able to launch SDK - via Vivado to.

However, SDK looks really bad - bottoms, scrollbars and so on are missing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Allan

Selection_001.png
0 Kudos
Visitor rwwerner
Visitor

Jump to solution

Running Vivado 2016.3 in Linux Mint 18.1, I had the same problems with the display - missing controls, highlighted items would disappear.  I was able to work around the issue by changing the "controls" setting in themes.

(i.e. System Settings->Appearance->Themes->Controls)

Adding "export SWT_GTK3=0" before starting the SDK also fixed the same launch issues in this setup.

0 Kudos
Participant jpan127
Participant

Jump to solution

For anyone reading this in the future:

This is what worked for me in Vivado 2016.1 Ubuntu 16.04, and to summarize the previous comments

Open /<PATH_TO_SDK>/<VERSION>/bin/xsdk.sh

Add this at the very start

Capture.PNG

Visitor jeremy_ku
Visitor

Jump to solution

For anyone who will encounter this problem in future.

I get the same problem with Vivado2016.4 installed on Ubuntu 16.04LTS.

I solved it by adding

export SWT_GTK3=0

into <Path_to_Vivado_Installation>/SDK/2016.4/.settings64-Software_Development_Kit__SDK_.sh file, and adding

source <Path_to_Vivado_Installation>/SDK/2016.4/settings64.sh

into <Path_to_Vivado_Installation>/SDK/2016.4/bin/xsdk file.

BTW,

1. it doesn't work for me by only appending

export SWT_GTK3=0  into <Path_to_Vivado_Installation>/SDK/2016.4/.settings64-Software_Development_Kit__SDK_.sh file.

2. If you want to launch Xilinx SDK (i.e., XSDK) from shortcut menu, you can try the solution given by @bluehatsoftdev :

modify  the entry

~/.local/share/applications/Xilinx\ SDK\ 2016.4<randomnumber>.desktop

Modified file in my case is

$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/Xilinx\ SDK\ 2016.4_1487461555225.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Xilinx SDK 2016.4
Comment=Xilinx SDK 2016.4
Icon=/export/space/xilinx/XSDK-2016-04/SDK/2016.4/data/sdk/images/sdk_logo.png
Exec=env SWT_GTK3=0 /export/space/xilinx/XSDK-2016-04/SDK/2016.4/bin/xsdk

0 Kudos