cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyn_thia
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado block design can not be update automaticly when modify the parameters or IP source code

Jump to solution

HI:

I am using VIVADO 2016.4 on WINDOWS10.

I found that when I modify the IP parameters or the IP source code of the block design,the design_wrapper.v can not be update automaticly.

It is so inconvenient that I should delete the old design_wrapper.v  or even I should close the VIVADO and delete all the cached files.Someone have some ideas ?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florentw

Hi @cyn_thia,

To things to investigate:

-> When generating the HDL wrapper, you can select if you want vivado to update the wrapper or if you want to update it manually. Make sure you selected the first option

-> The wrapper is usually updated when you validate the BD. Make sure you validate the BD after each change.

Let me know if that helps,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
florentw

Hi @cyn_thia,

To things to investigate:

-> When generating the HDL wrapper, you can select if you want vivado to update the wrapper or if you want to update it manually. Make sure you selected the first option

-> The wrapper is usually updated when you validate the BD. Make sure you validate the BD after each change.

Let me know if that helps,

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @cyn_thia

If you regenerate the block design wrapper it overrides the old wrapper file, are you seeing different behavior? 

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
cyn_thia
Contributor
Contributor

@vemulad  Sometimes even I delete the old wrapper file and regenerate  a new one ,the design_wrapper.v still can not be updated correctly. So I need to close the VIVADO and delete the cached files and reopen the project,  like this it can be updated successfully.

0 Kudos
cyn_thia
Contributor
Contributor

@florentw Hi: Thanks for your suggestion! I will check if it feasible after my test.

0 Kudos
bbean

I was just having a lot of trouble with the wrapper not auto-updating. My solution ended up being to delete and re-create the wrapper, then to synthesize. I didn't need to wait for synthesis to complete to see the changes to the wrapper. I only had to wait until it had finished setting up the synthesis run. At least, this worked with Vivado 2017.2 HLx edition.

Also:

@cyn_thia wrote:

@vemulad  Sometimes even I delete the old wrapper file and regenerate  a new one ,the design_wrapper.v still can not be updated correctly. So I need to close the VIVADO and delete the cached files and reopen the project,  like this it can be updated successfully.

...I often find that the ultimate fix to Vivado's nonsense is deleting the cache. :(

0 Kudos