UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Where can I find the read (receive) and write (transmit) functions in standalone LwIP template project?

Jump to solution

Even I can't believe, I do the exact programming as we discussed, but it still does not work.

int transfer_data() {

char c[5]={1,2,3,4,5};
tcp_write(globalTCP_pcb,c,5,1);
return 0;
}

It still does not work. I can not receive anything in terminal. Even weird, if I keep the command in "recv_callback()" function,

err = tcp_write(tpcb,p->payload,p->len, 1);

When I put "tcp_write()" in "transfer_data()", "tcp_write()" in ""recv_callback()" does not work either. The echo disappear.

It looks like PCB pointer does not work after I assign it to a new global pointer but I don't knwo why.

I attached the "echo.c" file, you can have a look if you have time and are interested.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Visitor marcdesm
Visitor

Re: Where can I find the read (receive) and write (transmit) functions in standalone LwIP template project?

Jump to solution

I've been modifying the echo server also. I want it to return a "large" amount of data in response to a command sent to it from the client (on the PC). My server runs on a Zynq (ZC702 borad).  The server seems limited to sending back at most 8KByte of data in response to a packet from the client.  It seems that  tcp_write only moves data to an buffer of size 8KByte.  How do I force the data to get transmitted?  I want my client to request a large amount of data, and I want the recv_callback function to return this large amount of data. It seems that the data placed in some buffer by tcp_write only actually gets transmitted when rec_callback exits.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey

Okay so your question can be answered in two parts.

First : You can change the settings of your size of tcp_snd_buf in the BSP settings --> lwip--> tcp_options--> tcp_send_buf size. The default is set to 8192 bytes. So you are correct when you say that it is able to send only 8k of data.

Second : The tcp_write function writs the data for sending. But it does not send it immediately due to due the Nagle's algorithm and waits for more data so that it can send them efficiently. If you want to force the data out you have to call the tcp_output() afetr the tcp_write() call.

It is unadvisable to go against Nagle's algorithm in MOST cases. If you are fine tuning your lwip settings I advice you to follow these guidlines : http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/Tuning_TCP

Hope it helps .

Regards

Arvind

0 Kudos
Visitor marcdesm
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks arvindr.

However, I did try to call tcp_output()  (I forgot to mention that in the previous post) and that failed.  Then I found this that explains why (to a certain extent):

"tcp_write() merely enqueues TCP data for later transmission; it does not actually start transmitting. Nevertheless, when tcp_write() is called from within a recv callback as in this example, there is no need to call tcp_output() to start transmission of sent data (indeed, tcp_output() specifically declines to do anything if it is called from within the recv callback)."

http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/Raw/TCP

This seems like a hint from the designers of lwIP that if you want to send more than 8KB, don't do it from recv_callback.

What's the recommended way of sending a large block of data, in response to a TCP message from the client? How does an FTP server send a large amount of data to a client?

Note that on the client side, I have a Python program that opens a TCP socket and keeps it open (there's only ever one computer controling the FPGA board). The client presents a GUI to a user.  The user selects one of several functions (buttons).  Selecting a function leads to the transmission of a command packet (a unique 32 bit value).  The server decodes the command in the recv_callback function.  Then it returns data (based on the command).  The client expect this data (and it knows the amount of data), so right after sending the command, the client calls "receive" on the socket.  And it keeps calling "receive" until all the data is received. Something like this:

data = ''
    while len(data) < n:
        packet = sock.recv(n - len(data))
        if not packet:
            return None
        data += packet

A timeout of 1 sec is configured on the socket.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor navin
Visitor

Jump to solution

@buddha1987  @arvindnr 

could you kindly share what changes you finally made to transmit and receive data via ethernet using lwip echo server?

thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Visitor navin
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @arvindnr @savula 

Thanks for your earlier replies, proved very useful.

But suppose i have data in BRAM, how to i load the packets (tcp/ethernet) with that data?

How to access BRAM data through ethernet? I want to read the written data from BRAM in the SDK terminal through ethernet.

Kindly help.

0 Kudos