UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor luqman1
Visitor

Write_bmm

Running

write_bmm xyz.bmm

gives error

ERROR: [Memdata 28-96] Could not find a BMM_INFO_DESIGN property in the design. Could not generate the merged BMM file: xyz.bmm
ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: Failed to create a merged bmm file.

Where is the property BMM_INFO_DESIGN described in documentation?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Write_bmm

Hi,

Why are you running write_bmm? Are you writing out the file for taking into SDK?

In which case you should just be using the export to SDK option. In that case if you see this error, that is a bug..

Please explain what you are trying to do..

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Visitor luqman1
Visitor

I want to create bmm file so that a tcl script can use it to update internal rom with internal processor software. We are not using SDK. I have generated bmm file manually. There are 4 different roms (2kx128). How can I automatically generate bmm file and backannotate it if placement change is changes during compile?

Thank you

Mirza

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Are you creating this design in XPS or IPI or is it hand generated?

Right now all we support is IPI and XPS generated flows for writing out a back-annnotated BMM file.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Visitor currently
Visitor

luqman1,

I had the same problem.  There is an answer here http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/53064.html that describes a workaround.  I have been successfully using this approach.  Hope it helps you also

0 Kudos
Visitor luqman1
Visitor

Thank you very much. I will try it today.

0 Kudos
Visitor luqman1
Visitor

I thought that in the backannotated version LOC will be replaced by PLACED. But see both LOC and PLACED. Is that OK?

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

The write_bmm, or the Vivado tool will only generate a BMM file for all the memory mapped memory controller in your XPS/IPI project.

If you are generating your memory outside this flow (ie through coregen, ip in Vivado, no IPI), then the tools will not auto generate a BMM file. The write_bmm will not write this either.

The AR that was mentioned was created by me, this just simply created a backannotated BMM file by manually searching the routed design for the BRAM locations using the instance path. Again, this will only work if you are using a memory mapped memory controller in the XPS or IPI design.

If you are using a memory outside this flow, then the BMM will need to be created Manually by the user:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/46945.htm

0 Kudos
Visitor sinclairrf
Visitor

I reviewed the listed documentation and couldn't find anything that helped.  I'm using my own micro controller (https://github.com/sinclairrf/SSBCC) and needed a procedure to generate the BMM for the micro controller instruction memory.

What I wound up doing was the following:

1.  Identify the Block RAMs in the implemented design by entering the following TCL command after place and route:

foreach a [get_cells -hierarchical -filter { LOC =~ "RAMB*" }] { puts $a; report_property [get_cells $a] LOC; }

This lists the memory names and their locations.

2.  Look through the output to identify the name for your memory.

3.  Use the following TCL command to write the memory locations you care about to your Vivado log file:

set memName {uc/inst/s_PC_reg_rep};
set memLoc [report_property -return_string [get_cells $memName] LOC];
puts "MYBMMINFO: $memName [lindex $memLoc 7]";

4.  Write an AWK script to find these entries and to generate the BMM file.

0 Kudos