Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

XPS 14 sending STDOUT to RS232

Jump to solution

Hi!

I'm starting EDK/XPS studies and I'm trying to "connect" STDOUT to the xps_uartlite so I can 'printf' to RS232 port.

Looking some docs on web, using XPS 7.1, explaining[1] that when using the BSB Wizard, there's an 'Software Setup' window that we can select STDIN and STDOUT to RS232.

But I'm using XPS 14 and could not see/find such window or option. Where can I set STDIN/STDOUT to RS232 port on XPS 14 ??

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards

brasilino

[1] http://www.ece.iit.edu/~/ecasp/tutorials/microblaze_tutorial.pdf

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

EDK 7.1 is pretty old and we were able to set stdout in EDK GUI itself.

For the newer releases we have migrated the software development to SDK.

Refer to the following document that talks about how to handle RS232 in 14.x release.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/edk_ctt.pdf

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

EDK 7.1 is pretty old and we were able to set stdout in EDK GUI itself.

For the newer releases we have migrated the software development to SDK.

Refer to the following document that talks about how to handle RS232 in 14.x release.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/edk_ctt.pdf

--Hem

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, 

This is funny because you want to do something I am doing and I don't want to !

For my tests, I just created a very simple system(with no peripherals added). When I did a printf in my software it was printed in the console.

After this test, I added a RS232 peripheral to my system. And with a software just doing an "hello world" the text is printed on the RS232 (and this is very annoying for me). 

So when I added the RS232 peipheral, STDOUT and STDIN were automatically connected to RS232.

In your .mss file (we can find in _bsp folder in SDK), what are the value for stdin and sdout ? If it's mdm_0 you can change it to RS232. (I did the opposite, ie connect STDOUT and STDIN to mdm_0 and this didn't work and I don't understand why).

0 Kudos