Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

XPS - BSB Wizard - ML605 - UCF For DDR3

Hello,

I am just getting into the uBlaze stuff. 

I am currently trying to build a very basic uBlaze System on the ML605. 

I do this in the following steps:

- Create  ISE13.4 project, target is the ML605. Crate a new source, embedded CPU

- XPS opens up and asks me to run BSB Wizard and I do

- I remove most of the peripherals from the right side of the screen to keep it simple, but I do leave the DDR3 in. 

- When I see my System Assembly view is done, I checked the ucf file...which graphically located on the left, under the platform view, 'project files'

- When I open the ucf, it shows pin assignments for all of the peripherall EXCEPT the DDR3...WHY? 

So when I go back to the System Assembly view, and click on the DDR3 peripheral, it brings up the MIG Wizard. I notice the DDR3 was totally not even set up....WHY? If I targeted tyhe ML605...it KNOWS what I got...this should be all automated...

So then I go through the process:

- create design...DDR3 using AXI

- memory type is SODIMM, and I choose the one on the ML605

- leave all the settings the same...32 bit data bus, etc..

- then it asks me how to do pin selection, and I chose a fixed design...as it is....ML605

- It brings me to a screen where it asks me for a UCF....I DONT HAVE THE UCF...SHOULDN'T IT KNOW ALREADY SINCE IT KNOWS I AM USING THE DARN ML605???

- Embedded kit has to ucf for the ddr3 either...

So what do I do?? What am I missing here? =/

-Peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: XPS - BSB Wizard - ML605 - UCF For DDR3

Hi guys,

I also face exact the same problem described above.

In my case, I use Spartan 6 SP605 Evaluation Board. I try to use 128 Mb DDR3 Ram. I use BSP to generate DDR3 Memory Controller Core. However, for both PLB and AXI bus, the ucf files have no declaration of pins for DDR3 RAM.

I also download some reference designs for SP605 (for example xapp1026), but in these designs, the ucf files also have no declaration for DDR3 RAM pins. Of course, when i run the mem_test app, it returns failed.

I use xps and sdk ver 14.7. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something about DDR3 RAM? Could someone please explain this problem for me.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Tung.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

The DDR pin locations are copied into $EDK_Project/_xps folder

This is updated after generating netlist

To confirm the behaviour check the pad report after implementing the design

Please configure the controller in MIG wizard.

If you would want to know the locations of DDR pins look at the BIST design files for the respective boards in our website

HS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi HS,

Thanks for your helpful answer, I found the DDR3 pin locations declaration in $edk_project\__xps\MCB_DDR3\mig.ucf after generating netlist. So i dont have to manually add them to my projects.

Thanks again!

Tung
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Tung

Thanks for your reply. Mark the forum post as solved if the issue is resolved.

--HS

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos