UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor asandweech
Visitor

XSDK Eclipse crashes during libmetal BSP generation

Hello, I am attempting to create a SDK project using the RFDC driver which, to my understanding, is dependent on the inclusion of the libmetal library. When I create a new BSP or modify an existing BSP to include the libmetal library any subsequent BSP source generation will lock up/freeze Eclipse. In order to prevent a full crash the rdi_xsct process has to be manually killed.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or any tips on successfully including libmetal in a BSP? I am experiencing this with version 2018.2 on Windows 7, and I am currently working to see if the same thing happens using version 2018.3.

Apologies if this is the wrong location for this post, I wasn't sure which board is most appropriate and now I am thinking the embedded processor board might be more correct. If someone could move this post to the proper location, it would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: XSDK Eclipse crashes during libmetal BSP generation

You could just create the BSP first, and enable the libmetal lib. Then when created the applciation project, you can select the pre-existing bsp instead of the default create new bsp

0 Kudos
Visitor asandweech
Visitor

That is what I have been attempting to do, as I had previously found this thread: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Evaluation-Boards/ZCU111-RFDC-Bare-Metal-Example/td-p/897245

Unfortunately my issues were not solved in the same way as them by creating the BSP independently. The lockup/crash occurs after exiting the new BSP wizard and again when attempting to manually trigger the BSP source generation.

0 Kudos
Visitor asandweech
Visitor

Just a follow up, updating the Vivado installation to 2018.3.1 does not seem to have made a difference; the issue still persists. I seem to be experiencing the same issue as what is described in this OpenAMP post: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/open-amp/vsj4tt5ZlQQ/snfKHgpUCAAJ

The issue is not present when using 2018.3 on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), so for now that serves as a workaround.

Contributor
Contributor

I am also seeing this issue using SDK 2018.2 on windows 7 (64) using the ZCU111 hdf.

The SDK will hang of the libmetal library is included in the BSP project.

Workaround (manual build using XSCL)

Open XSCL and type;

setws <workspace path>
regenbsp -bsp <bsp name>

Notes:

Paths in XSCL in windows require double backslash
The <workspace path> has to be a parent of the <project path> , otherwise the XSCL will not find the project/bsp.
The <bsp name> is normally "standalone_bsp_1"

I have attached trace Log from the SDK for the crash, line 1336 is the crash, "rdi_xsct.exe" process was then terminated

Hopefully Xilinx can identify this issue and document the work around.

0 Kudos

I have tested this on my end:

set fsbl_design [hsi::create_sw_design fsbl_1 -proc psu_cortexa53_0 -app zynqmp_fsbl]
  common::set_property APP_COMPILER "aarch64-none-elf-gcc" $fsbl_design
  common::set_property -name APP_COMPILER_FLAGS -value "-DRSA_SUPPORT -DFSBL_DEBUG_INFO -DXPS_BOARD_ZCU111" -objects $fsbl_design
  hsi::add_library libmetal
  hsi::generate_app -dir zynqmp_fsbl -compile

This uses the HSI (meaning non eclipse based).

Contributor
Contributor

@stephenm I assume you can recreate the hang/crash regenerating the libmetal library?

Does the HSI mean its a Xilinx problem then?

0 Kudos

There is a known issue in the SDK for HDF with the RFDC IP when building the BSP. The libmetal library isnt added, therefor the comilation of the rfdc drvier will fail.

The issue isnt in the HSI. The commands I sent in the previous post is how you can create a BSP in HSI that will enable the libmetal before the bsp is compiled

Contributor
Contributor

Ah appologies, my misunderstanding.

As this has been acknowledged can you clarify which version(s) of the SDK this effects?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Using Xilinx SDK 2019.1 and creating a BSP for the ZCU104 (MPSoC which does not contain an RFDC) also fails regenerating the libraries when libmetal is included, this suceeds when libmetal is excluded.

Line that hangs in the SDK.

DEBUG : XSCT command with result: [::hsi::utils::generate_bsp_sources C:/Users/username/workspace/regen3/zcu104_design_wrapper_hw_platform_0/system.hdf C:/Users/username/workspace/regen3/standalone_bsp_0/system.mss C:/Users/username/workspace/regen3/standalone_bsp_0], Result: null. Thread: ModalContext