cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lspitler

Xilinx tools on quad core processor

I'm looking to get a new computer with a quad core Intel Xeon processor running 32-bit Windows. I've heard of someone having problems building designs on a quad core and thinks it may have something to do with EDK. 

I'm curious if anyone one else has had problems running EDK (or ISE/System Generator for that matter) on a quad core processor?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
brouhaha
Explorer
Explorer

I've had no trouble at all with ISE and EDK on an Intel quad core processors, and AMD dual core processors.  I haven't yet tried an AMD triple or quad core processor, but I have no doubt that they'll work fine.

I haven't seen that a quad core processor provides any noticeable benefit in system build times with ISE or EDK though.  Possibly with EDK one take advantage of the quad core by arrangin to use a "-j" option to make for the software build, but I haven't yet bothered as the software build is the fastest part of the overall build process.

0 Kudos
gszakacs
Professor
Professor

Rumors are that future revisions of ISE will support multiprocessing.  But even single-threaded, the place and route runs much faster on recent multicore processors because they tend to have larger and faster cache.  If you do other work on the same computer while running ISE you will also have improved performance.
-- Gabor
0 Kudos