cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Zedboard serial port connection

I want to connect my Zedboard to the putty but i am not able to configure it because the port number is not visible in device manager. I tried to install many times cypress software and updated the device info in windows device manager but the port number was not visible. i can program the Zedboard using Xilinx SDK but when i try to communicate it by setting serial connection in putty it gives me error of no serial connection present. Can someone guide me how can i solve this issue. As i have to boot linux on Zedboard using SD card. when i connect and disconnect or the usb cable from my PC then the device manager gets refreshed and it seems that something is recognized but it doesn't provides me the port number. i am facing this problem now because in past the port number appeared in device manager when ever i connected it Zedboard to the PC and which was com12 and i was able to properly set the serial connection in putty and was able to run on my zedboard. 

any suggestions about how to solve this issue

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Zedboard serial port connection

Hi @sheelanch

1) Is there USB bloking running in your pc?

2) Have you tried by connecting to other USB ports and to other PC?

3) Can you check any hardware issue of the board? It might be damaged? Just check voltages and shorts?

4) Change the USB cable and try...:)

Thanks

Madhu

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@madhu.mami60 yes I had changed the cables and ports but nothing is working.. I am not understanding the reason because with same cables I am able to program it and also the Adept software recognizes it. but i cannot use the COM port for serial communication I tried it both in windows and using Linux in Linux when I tried to get information about the available ports I was getting the " /dev/ttyUSB is not responding " error.

and about software no there is no USB blocking software because i can use flash drives, sd cards without a problem, the only thing which i had not done is to check the voltages but I guess if I can program it using Xilinx SDK then the voltages are ok?

Any suggestions now 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @sheelanch

I think for programming you have a separate JTAG cable. The voltages am talking is about the UART to USB chip on Zedboard. Weather voltages going to that IC are proper?

Which revision of the Zedboard you are using? I am not getting the exact issue what it could be...?!?!? Any connector issue raised as you are using since long time. May IC got dameged?? Any strange issue???

Can you check the same on a different board if you have one more board? 

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @sheelanch

Did you made any progress on your issue? As pointed by @madhu.mami60 it seems that somehow your hardware might be suffered some issues specially the USB to UART translator chip.

From the Zedboard block diagram seems that JTAG port is through the 20pin header so it's not shared with the USB port used for the UART.

Regards

Ibai

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.